News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Research team finds new explanation for Cambrian explosion

Started by Tank, November 29, 2011, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Research team finds new explanation for Cambrian explosion

Quote(PhysOrg.com) -- For hundreds of years, researchers from many branches of science have sought to explain the veritable explosion in diversity in animal organisms that started approximately 541 million years ago here on planet Earth. Known as the Cambrian period, it was the time, according to fossil evidence, when life evolved from simple one celled organisms, to creatures that had multiple cells with varied functions. Now, new evidence by a team of biologists, paleobiologists and ecologists suggests that the sudden explosion of new life forms may not have been so sudden after all. In their paper published in Science, the teams says that it appears likely that most of the new life forms that show up in fossil finds, were well on their way to development before the Cambrian period and that many of them, by their behaviors, may have helped pave the way for others...

The more we discover about 'Snowball Earth' and the pre-cambrian era, the more it appears to be the critical evolutionary period in Earth's history.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Every period in Earth's history can be considered critical because all of them combined resulted in us being here today.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on November 29, 2011, 07:40:41 PM
Every period in Earth's history can be considered critical because all of them combined resulted in us being here today.
Sort of, but if it were not for the unique conditions of 'Snowball Earth' then there would have been no multi-cellular life so in that respect it marks a critical point in our evolution. There had been 3billion years of evolutionary stagnation preceding 'Snowball Earth' and without that evolutionary bottle neck it's quite possible there would still be nothing but single-celled organisms.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

OldGit

This is not new.  As early as 1957 a precambrian fossil named Charnia was found by a good friend of mine, Roger Mason.  Much more stuff has come to light since.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on November 29, 2011, 07:48:52 PM
This is not new.  As early as 1957 a precambrian fossil named Charnia was found by a good friend of mine, Roger Mason.  Much more stuff has come to light since.
You know Roger Mason! You jammy old git!

OldGit

His wife and daughter were bridesmaids at our wedding.  We used to go caving together.  Who was the poor sap who hung around on an abseil rope writing down his measurements of Minor folding in the Wigpool syncline?  Me, that's who. ;D

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on November 29, 2011, 08:07:25 PM
His wife and daughter were bridesmaids at our wedding.  We used to go caving together.  Who was the poor sap who hung around on an abseil rope writing down his measurements of Minor folding in the Wigpool syncline?  Me, that's who. ;D
Well there is your claim to fame!

Asmodean

Now we can appreciate Git even more and brag to our friends about having him here and sell t-shirts with the photo of him, which he has kindly provided in the icons thread and make profit and donate it to Asmo who will use it to get his volcano... ...

... I'm gonna shut up now  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

^ Just watch it, Asmo, or I'll find some more plastic models.   ;D ;D

OldGit

Hey, I found an abstract of that paper. http://journals1.scholarsportal.info/details.xqy?uri=/00167878/v88i0002/107_mfwaaotwsfod.xml
That makes it worth the literal pain in the arse of sitting in a figure-of-eight rope sling for bloody ages.  We didn't have all this fancy climbing gear in those days.

Tank

Minor folds with anomalous asymmetry on the eastern limb of the Wigpool Syncline, Forest of Dean

QuoteReceived 28 October 1975; revised 14 July 1976; Available online 23 December 2008.

Gentle minor folds occur on the steeper eastern limb of the Wigpool Syncline in the Lower Limestone Shale and Lower Dolomite formations of the Forest of Dean. They are coaxial with the major syncline. Instead of the expected S-shaped asymmetry, they show Z-shaped asymmetry. This is explained by their suggested mode of origin by gravity gliding of the competent formations of the Carboniferous Limestone group off the May Hill Anticline, with the incompetent Lower Limestone Shale acting as the lubrication horizon. It is recommended that rules linking the asymmetry of minor folds to their position in major folds be applied with caution in tectonic settings where gravity sliding may have occurred.

Sintilating stuff  ;)

OldGit

Yes, well it probably made sense to geologists.  All I know is I dangled around the middle of the quarry face and wrote down a load of numbers that Roger called out.  Then we abbed down a few more feet and did some more.  Once at the bottom we climbed up again and started a new strip, belayed off a new tree stump.  My arse was really sore at the end.

McQ

Quote from: OldGit on November 30, 2011, 12:19:18 PM
Yes, well it probably made sense to geologists.  All I know is I dangled around the middle of the quarry face and wrote down a load of numbers that Roger called out.  Then we abbed down a few more feet and did some more.  Once at the bottom we climbed up again and started a new strip, belayed off a new tree stump.  My arse was really sore at the end.

What are a few sling sores among friends?  ;D

Very cool thing to do, man. I think it's an awesome claim to fame.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on November 30, 2011, 12:09:18 PM
Minor folds with anomalous asymmetry on the eastern limb of the Wigpool Syncline, Forest of Dean

QuoteReceived 28 October 1975; revised 14 July 1976; Available online 23 December 2008.

Gentle minor folds occur on the steeper eastern limb of the Wigpool Syncline in the Lower Limestone Shale and Lower Dolomite formations of the Forest of Dean. They are coaxial with the major syncline. Instead of the expected S-shaped asymmetry, they show Z-shaped asymmetry. This is explained by their suggested mode of origin by gravity gliding of the competent formations of the Carboniferous Limestone group off the May Hill Anticline, with the incompetent Lower Limestone Shale acting as the lubrication horizon. It is recommended that rules linking the asymmetry of minor folds to their position in major folds be applied with caution in tectonic settings where gravity sliding may have occurred.

Sintilating stuff  ;)

Yup, those major and minor folds in the Wigpool get me all tectonic.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: OldGit on November 30, 2011, 12:19:18 PM

Ah, the glories of science!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany