Author Topic: Research team finds new explanation for Cambrian explosion  (Read 247 times)

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
Re: Research team finds new explanation for Cambrian explosion
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 08:28:35 AM »
Tank's mention of the HAF facebook page led me to look at it. And I found the following article that I think fascination - potentially gills in many of the gaps in my understsnding of the Cambrian Ecplosion.

Around 520 million years ago, a wide variety of animals burst onto the evolutionary scene in an event known as the Cambrian explosion. In perhaps as few as 10 million years, marine animals evolved most of the basic body forms that we observe in modern groups.
The event has sparked fierce debate all the way back to Darwin. Some paleontologists see the Cambrian explosion as a real, astonishing episode of unprecedented, fast evolution. Others suggest it is a false artifact of an unreliable fossil record.
Now work published in the American Journal of Science shows that these competing theories can be unified by the geography of Cambrian Earth, as it underwent a wholesale lurch that clustered most of Earth's continents around the equator.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2016-02-great-secrets-earth-evolution.html#jCp
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

OldGit

• Ich em alder thene ich wes awintre and ech a lare
  • The Cure for Boredom is Curiosity. There is No Cure For Curiosity.
  • No amount of belief makes something a fact.
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 09:37:05 AM »
Ah, but what made it lurch?  These scientists think they're so clever, but they haven't solved geolurching yet, nor ever will.

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »
Ah, but what made it lurch?  These scientists think they're so clever, but they haven't solved geolurching yet, nor ever will.

True.

I know what makes me lurch - perhaps the world got drunk and slipped off its axis?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

Ecurb Noselrub

• No Wall in my name!!!
  • Guardian of Reason
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 02:54:15 AM »

We've know what made it lurch for a long time - Lurch.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurch_(The_Addams_Family)