News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

The End Of The Male

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, October 31, 2011, 02:57:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 31, 2011, 05:03:51 PM
Quote from: Ildiko on October 31, 2011, 08:26:42 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 31, 2011, 05:23:25 AM
Most divorces are filed by the females? ??? Really?

I don't know about anywhere else, but in the UK, the last figures I saw were that something like 70% of divorces are now instigated by women, and a quite extraordinary proportion of them take the first steps on or around 7th January. It's as though Christmas is just too much! Or perhaps they are just holding it together until after the holiday is over?

Family lawyers I know here in Texas will tell you a similar story - that divorce filings go up right after Christmas.  I think your latter explanation is the correct one.  The 70% figure doesn't surprise me.  For a man to file for divorce, he has to be prepared to lose primary custody of his children.  That's usually a pretty hard decision. The woman simply doesn't have as much to lose by dumping him.

Or, women tend to get the poopier ends of the stick in marriage.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

xSilverPhinx

I don't know about anywhere else, but in the UK, the last figures I saw were that something like 70% of divorces are now instigated by women, and a quite extraordinary proportion of them take the first steps on or around 7th January. It's as though Christmas is just too much! Or perhaps they are just holding it together until after the holiday is over?

Family lawyers I know here in Texas will tell you a similar story - that divorce filings go up right after Christmas.  I think your latter explanation is the correct one.  The 70% figure doesn't surprise me.  For a man to file for divorce, he has to be prepared to lose primary custody of his children.  That's usually a pretty hard decision. The woman simply doesn't have as much to lose by dumping him.

Now I've gotten insanely curious, any reasons as to why most filings occur after the holidays? Any anecdotal evidence? 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on October 31, 2011, 05:34:20 PM

Ha! When the twins were born we started using towel nappies to save money. One day I was transfering the soiled nappies from the nappy bucket into the washing machine and accidentally flicked a chunk of poo into my mouth, which caused me to vomit into the nappy bucket. Needless to say we started using disposable nappies the next day.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 31, 2011, 05:40:16 PM

Now I've gotten insanely curious, any reasons as to why most filings occur after the holidays? Any anecdotal evidence? 

Like Ildiko suggested, it's to get the kids past Christmas.  Get through the holidays, then break up the family in January so they will have almost a whole year to recover before it's time to get presents again.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Tank on October 31, 2011, 05:43:48 PM

Ha! When the twins were born we started using towel nappies to save money. One day I was transfering the soiled nappies from the nappy bucket into the washing machine and accidentally flicked a chunk of poo into my mouth, which caused me to vomit into the nappy bucket. Needless to say we started using disposable nappies the next day.

LOL, too much information man.
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 31, 2011, 06:11:15 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 31, 2011, 05:40:16 PM

Family lawyers I know here in Texas will tell you a similar story - that divorce filings go up right after Christmas.  I think your latter explanation is the correct one.  The 70% figure doesn't surprise me.  For a man to file for divorce, he has to be prepared to lose primary custody of his children.  That's usually a pretty hard decision. The woman simply doesn't have as much to lose by dumping him.

Like Ildiko suggested, it's to get the kids past Christmas.  Get through the holidays, then break up the family in January so they will have almost a whole year to recover before it's time to get presents again.

Well at least those cases are coolly and calmly planned then. I was thinking something more like: Christmas was the last straw, I'm filing for a divorce! kind of scenario. :P

Tank

Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 31, 2011, 06:22:51 PM

Wait until you have rug rats!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Norfolk And Chance

Quote from: Tank on October 31, 2011, 06:24:25 PM
Quote from: Norfolk And Chance on October 31, 2011, 06:22:51 PM

Wait until you have rug rats!

I've got kids and managed to get through the nappy stages without getting poo my mouth :D Hey if anybody ever called you potty mouth or gobshite you could think "if only you knew!"
Reality is the stuff that doesn't go away when you stop believing in it ~ Matt Dillahunty

Ildiko

Like Ildiko suggested, it's to get the kids past Christmas.  Get through the holidays, then break up the family in January so they will have almost a whole year to recover before it's time to get presents again.

I don't think I mentioned kids. I have no idea how many of these female-instigated divorces in the UK involve kids at all. I wonder how many people still wait for the children to grow up, or perhaps just find when the children have left home that they have no real marriage left? How many of these 70% of divorces are instigated by women over 45, say, women with their own jobs? I expect there are statistics, but I'm not curious enough to look for them at the moment.

This system where the wife gets all the money and custody of the kids is alien to my experience. Do they not have joint custody where you are? And don't women earn their own money?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ildiko on October 31, 2011, 06:40:00 PM

I don't think I mentioned kids. I have no idea how many of these female-instigated divorces in the UK involve kids at all. I wonder how many people still wait for the children to grow up, or perhaps just find when the children have left home that they have no real marriage left? How many of these 70% of divorces are instigated by women over 45, say, women with their own jobs? I expect there are statistics, but I'm not curious enough to look for them at the moment.

This system where the wife gets all the money and custody of the kids is alien to my experience. Do they not have joint custody where you are? And don't women earn their own money?

This^

The idea of women with children breaking up a family just seems a little odd - women generally are more family oriented - though I'm not saying that I don't accept it because I think it's impossible. I just find it odd that Bruce makes it sound like they have nothing to loose (even if by extension), contrary to the father who does.

Norfolk And Chance

Women's expectations from marriage and their husbands are higher now we have sexual equality, and the man can't just tell his wife to like it or lump it.

Higher expectations = more disappointment = more divorces.

Ecurb Noselrub

There is such a thing as joint custody, but women more often than not, even in joint custody, get to determine where the child lives, so dad gets some weekends, etc.  Yes, women earn their own money. But when dividing up property owned by the couple, the wife will more often than not come out ahead. Furthermore, it will usually be the man paying child support to the woman.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 31, 2011, 06:52:04 PM
The idea of women with children breaking up a family just seems a little odd - women generally are more family oriented - though I'm not saying that I don't accept it because I think it's impossible. I just find it odd that Bruce makes it sound like they have nothing to loose (even if by extension), contrary to the father who does.

I probably didn't do a good job of explaining myself. Nobody is going to want to break up a good marriage/happy family. But when it all goes bad, it seems like the female is going to have more motivation to break it up.  She is more likely to end up with the kids, and would not be paying child support. 

Attila

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 31, 2011, 07:23:30 PM

There is such a thing as joint custody, but women more often than not, even in joint custody, get to determine where the child lives, so dad gets some weekends, etc.  Yes, women earn their own money. But when dividing up property owned by the couple, the wife will more often than not come out ahead. Furthermore, it will usually be the man paying child support to the woman.
I guess things work differently in Texas. I had joint custody of my two sons and the way it worked was 3 months her - 3 months me and if something came up each of us was there for the other. Expenses worked where we paid into a joint account in function of our respective incomes. If you summed our two incomes and then took the percentages of each and put them into the "kids-expense" fund . That's how it worked. Seemed logical at the time.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Attila on October 31, 2011, 07:35:44 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 31, 2011, 07:23:30 PM

I guess things work differently in Texas. I had joint custody of my two sons and the way it worked was 3 months her - 3 months me and if something came up each of us was there for the other. Expenses worked where we paid into a joint account in function of our respective incomes. If you summed our two incomes and then took the percentages of each and put them into the "kids-expense" fund . That's how it worked. Seemed logical at the time.

That would break up the school year.  Generally, mom gets the kids during school, then dad gets some weekends and some extra time in the summer.  Mom usually has to be a drug-addicted prostitute or worse not to get the primary custodial right. Then dad usually has to pay support. That's how we do it here, even though it's sometimes referred to as "joint" custody.