News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Atheist Image Dump II

Started by Whitney, April 30, 2011, 02:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Thanks xSP. I was not thinking in those terms. Mob mentality is a well known phenomena. We have periodic demonstrations  of that kind of think here in the good ole' US.  Somehow I do not think that the crowd psychology proposition applies equally to Jihadists. These are people who will blow them selves up with an explosive vest without a mask.   

Pasta Chick

Tom62

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Icarus on March 08, 2016, 12:56:41 AM
Thanks xSP. I was not thinking in those terms. Mob mentality is a well known phenomena. We have periodic demonstrations  of that kind of think here in the good ole' US.  Somehow I do not think that the crowd psychology proposition applies equally to Jihadists. These are people who will blow them selves up with an explosive vest without a mask.

Agreed, but wearing a mask isn't the only thing that causes feelings of deindividuation, simply belonging to a group and feeling like you're part of something bigger than yourself will do that. Of course this isn't the only factor influencing the radicalisation of islamists or anyone else, though. Also, I doubt people who wear masks do so in order to feel deindividualised, but it is a consequence. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

^ So true.

Some people might argue that religion makes the world a morally better place but if that's the case I want those people as far away from me as possible.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

Icarus

^ Misuse and abuse of the word; theory, in the scientific context, annoys me.

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

OldGit

Icarus

Thats a good one OG. Would that the powers that be were so diligent about suspect information.

Tank

Guardian85

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."