News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Atheist Image Dump II

Started by Whitney, April 30, 2011, 02:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGit

Quote from: ScissorlegsHow is this rational?

FTFY, Scissorlegs

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 29, 2012, 01:55:15 AM
I kind of get the healing properties presumed of minerals (even in the "just placing them on your body" form) but how is pink lipstick curative?
I get how pink lipstick can have curative properties, provided you mix in some active components against, for instance, dry skin or some such, but placing rocks on your body..?

???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Siz

Quote from: OldGit on April 29, 2012, 10:00:51 AM

FTFY, Scissorlegs

:D

I am interested in the personal rationale in this instance, given that Cats is generally a pretty level-headed kinda gal.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 29, 2012, 12:17:12 PM

FTFY, Scissorlegs

I am interested in the personal rationale in this instance, given that Cats is generally a pretty level-headed kinda gal.
Which would indicate that she is considering that minerals coming into contact with skin may have a basis for an effect. Nothing to do with the vibrating aura woo.

Not that I'm putting words in her mouth but that's the idea I got from her post. BCE is more than capable of defending her position.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Quote from: Tank on April 29, 2012, 12:42:54 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 29, 2012, 12:17:12 PM

FTFY, Scissorlegs

Which would indicate that she is considering that minerals coming into contact with skin may have a basis for an effect. Nothing to do with the vibrating aura woo.
I was after clarification of this, hence the original query.

Quote from: TankNot that I'm putting words in her mouth but that's the idea I got from her post. BCE is more than capable of defending her position.
Indeed! I'm happy to wait for a direct response to a direct question...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

MariaEvri

God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Unlinked on April 29, 2012, 08:31:03 AM

I kind of get the healing properties presumed of minerals (even in the "just placing them on your body" form) but how is pink lipstick curative?

On that note, how are upward-facing dreadlocks curative?

I didn't even notice that.  This just gets weirder and weirder.

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 29, 2012, 09:04:25 AM

I kind of get the healing properties presumed of minerals (even in the "just placing them on your body" form)

How exactly, do you rationalise this, Cats?

Do the crystal structures within the stones interfere/interact in some way with the invisible energy field around the body? Has that ever been measured? How is this rationally different to religious healing?

Maybe you just have to live in LA long enough.  I can get how some people would think "minerals are good for you in food so therefore . . ." and go on to some wild bit of woo woo because I've heard it often enough and it no longer seems strange to me that people think this.  Ridiculous, but not strange.  Still don't get the pink lipstick or, now that Unlinked has pointed it out, the upward dreadlocks.

FTFY, Scissorlegs

Now I need to find out what FTFY means, and it's probably something embarrassingly obvious.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 29, 2012, 04:59:35 PM
Quote from: MariaEvri on April 29, 2012, 11:21:00 AM

This I like, and it's well worth repeating.

I like it, too. A lot. I've had similar conversations with believers though, and whenever they're asked to use the scientific method to prove their beliefs, or indeed to even offer any evidence at all... they move the goalposts and say "use science to prove that love, friendship, loyalty etc etc exist! Those are intangible things just like belief is! If you can't scientifically prove you love someone, how can I prove I love God?"  ::)

They often miss the point. I absolutely believe they have emotional feelings of love towards whatever they believe God to be. It doesn't follow, though, that a) this God exists, b) this God is the 'correct one' to follow and c) this God loves them back. But generally before I can make these points, they feel like they've won the "argument" simply by appealing to emotion. Their argument seriously comes down to "you can't prove how I feel!"

It's basically a game of Pigeon Chess: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pigeon%20chess

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Asmodean

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 29, 2012, 04:55:23 PM
Now I need to find out what FTFY means, and it's probably something embarrassingly obvious.
Fixed That For You.

Also in use is FYP, Fixed Your Post.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Heh saw this while reading through a thread on thethinkingatheist.com

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

history_geek

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 01, 2012, 02:09:54 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 01, 2012, 02:04:55 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 01, 2012, 02:02:15 AM
Heh saw this while reading through a thread on thethinkingatheist.com

Oh yea, the Dubstep Cat. ;D

No wonder I thought it was amusing ;D

Interesting, but I think this was even better:

Apparently one of Guardians colleagues was having a bad day. Anyone else think somebody "fixed" those smoke bombs before use... ;D
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i