News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Atheist Image Dump II

Started by Whitney, April 30, 2011, 02:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: Ihateyoumike on February 19, 2012, 08:04:07 PM

I got a friend who is a tattoo artist. He's gonna piss himself when I show him this!

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Thunder Road

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 19, 2012, 06:29:40 AM

I'm pretty sure Abe Lincoln wasn't either.  He kind-of picked and chose his beliefs, attended church but didn't really believe church stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln_and_religion
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: MariaEvri on February 19, 2012, 04:34:33 PM

I donno about the rest, but I don;t think Darwin was atheist

I don't think Lincoln, Franklin or Jefferson were, either, and Einstein is on the bubble.  I think some atheists like to claim them because they weren't fundies and that would tend to make them atheists in the fundie mindset, which I think is what the poster is aimed at.  Still funny tho.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Thunder Road

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 19, 2012, 10:58:24 PM

I don't think Lincoln, Franklin or Jefferson were, either, and Einstein is on the bubble.  I think some atheists like to claim them because they weren't fundies and that would tend to make them atheists in the fundie mindset, which I think is what the poster is aimed at.  Still funny tho.

Oh yeah I didn't even notice Franklin down there.  He was a Xtain early on and a deist later in life, but definitely not an atheist.
"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see." -John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever

Freshman Meteorology major at Valparaiso University in Indiana and fan of exclusively classic rock.

statichaos

They could have put Thomas Paine in his place.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: statichaos on February 19, 2012, 11:10:14 PM
They could have put Thomas Paine in his place.

You know, I was just wondering if they used those guiys because they couldn't find enough easily recognizable true atheists?  I'm not sure I'd recognize Thomas Paine if I saw a picture of him.

Edited to add:  this seems to be the most common image of Paine.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

statichaos

My favorite founding father!

Amicale

If you replace the word 'atheism' with 'thinking outside the box', 'critical thought' or 'skepticism', I think it would work with respect to that picture. All of those men certainly could have those labels applied to them, since even the deists/theists among them thought critically and with an open mind.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Amicale on February 20, 2012, 01:50:37 AM

If you replace the word 'atheism' with 'thinking outside the box', 'critical thought' or 'skepticism', I think it would work with respect to that picture. All of those men certainly could have those labels applied to them, since even the deists/theists among them thought critically and with an open mind.

^
This

Btw, that tattoo is amazing!!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asmodean

Those two cats on the right side of the picture. Are who?  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

statichaos

Quote from: Asmodean on February 20, 2012, 11:11:01 AM

I see three:  Carl Sagan, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson.  One of whom was an atheist, the other two of whom remain controversial in definition.

Asmodean

Quote from: statichaos on February 20, 2012, 11:15:47 AM

I see three:  Carl Sagan, Benjamin Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson.  One of whom was an atheist, the other two of whom remain controversial in definition.
Sagan I recognised.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Amicale

Quote from: Asmodean on February 20, 2012, 11:28:26 AM
Quote from: statichaos on February 20, 2012, 11:15:47 AM

Sagan I recognised.

There is an old movie, and an even older book by Robert Lawson, that I loved as a child: Ben & Me.  ;D

QuoteAmos, a poor church mouse, sets out to find work, since his family of 26 is starving. He's rejected by several places and takes refuge in the run-down print shop of Ben Franklin. Quickly, he gives Ben the ideas for the Franklin stove, bifocal lenses, and the newspaper the Pennsylvania Gazette as Ben's creditors are threatening to shut him down in 24 hours. The paper is an instant hit and Ben prospers. With Amos hidden in his hat prompting him, Ben seems much brighter than he is. However, when Amos is attached to Ben's kite and gets hit by lighting, he leaves. Later, in the summer of 1776, Ben is desperate and begs Amos to return. He agrees but only if Ben will sign a contract. The next day, as they are beginning their talks, Thomas Jefferson drops by for help with the wording the opening of the Declaration of Independence, and as Ben reads the opening words of the contract, Jefferson says, "That's it!" 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045550/

:D :D :D