News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Is materialism depressing?

Started by pjkeeley, September 03, 2007, 04:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjkeeley

The religious often object to scientific materialism on emotional grounds, claiming that it somehow denies part of ourselves or the beauty of nature. The following is a quote from the modern philosopher Daniel Dennett. He's talking about free will, but he could just as easily be talking about God, or heaven, or the soul, or any other widely-held supernatural belief:

Suppose that once upon a time there were people who believed that an invisible arrow from a flying god was a sort of inoculation that caused people to fall in love. And suppose some killjoy scientist then came along and showed them that this was simply not true: No such flying gods exist. "He's shown that nobody ever falls in love, not really. The idea of falling love is just a nice—maybe even necessary fiction. It never happens." That is what some might say. Others, one hopes, would want to deny it: "No. Love is quite real, and so is falling in love. It just isn't what people used to think it is. It's just as good—maybe even better. True love doesn't involve any flying gods."

Whitney

I thought it was depressing to believe that some people are punished for eternity for finite wrongs.

Maybe those who think a materialistic view would be depressing are actually just afraid of loosing the ability to fall back on god belief in times of need?

SteveS

Yeah - I never got that either.  Isn't it better if things are both wonderful and understood, as opposed to wonderful and mysterious?  I guess I don't understand why people value mystery.  Mystery mostly ticks me off or frustrates me - I want answers damn it!  :wink:  

Its like taking apart a cuckoo clock and saying it is somehow less marvelous since you've seen how all the gears work - but seeing all that only makes me appreciate it even more.

Will

I'm never depressed listening to my iPod or watching Top Gear on my LCD. Materialism can be fun.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

rlrose328

I'm good with materialism... it frustrates me when a certain type of person makes me feel bad for having an HD TV, several gameboys, fancy shoes and lots of diamonds.  It's not MY fault if they don't want that stuff.  :-)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

pjkeeley

Not the kind of materialism I was talking about, jeez.

:roll:

rlrose328

I KNEW that!   :lol:   :roll:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Will

Denying the want and need for the physical denies part of what it is to be alive on this planet. Humans use tools. We love tools. Whether that tool is a car to drive from a to b or a hammer to build a fence. We also take great pride in our tools, be they functional in performing work or for fun.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SteveS

As a follow through to the O.P., to hear scientists talk about the universe makes it obvious that those with a worldview of "scientific materialism" are hardly void of emotions about the subject!  They seem passionate about the "beauty of nature".  I'm thinking specifically of people like Albert Einstein and   Carl Sagan.

The religious do often lay this charge, though --- and I think they're out to lunch on this one as well.

Steve Reason

I find nature to be quite inspiring and beautiful. The fact that I might know how or why it appears to be beautiful to me doesn't make it any less inspiring. Maybe my idea of beauty might be different than a religious person's, but it's still beautiful to me. I really don't care if it contradicts what they believe.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Promethium147

I think you mean "Physicalism." Materialism is Old Hat.

Far from depressing, it cures all ills, it meets all needs, and supplies all wants - because it is all. However, you must actively participate - which also tends to dispel depression - exercise, with demonstrable physical results, constant positive feedback.

People have spoken since the beginning of the "mere" material, how grossly inferior it is to the Spiritual; but demonstrating this has proven difficult.

I am not Spiritual in any sense - but I can be quite Abstract, and build hierarchical nested abstractions. Most spirituals can't face one - and so, turn right 'round, and unduly reify God, Satan, and use other inappropriate anthropomorphisms all day long. It is Spiritual, yet I needs must make it real - I can't help myself. It is clearly beyond my imagination, and therefore, must be so.

For them, the material is boring - they simply can't interpret it, or imagine that another may. They tune it out as background noise - it interferes with their enjoyment of cartoons, either on the Tube, or in their heads.

But man, what moneygrubbers! They think Money REAL, and Wealth is not considered - thus, Greed itself.

Consider, if you will, the vast implications of the simple material - such as the flush toilet. Hardly noticed, it has doubtless saved hundreds of millions of lives. You as individual may do without it - your personal popularity would suffer - but if suddenly eliminated, the population would crash, civilization as we know it would be utterly destroyed.

It is a bit, a single piece of fired clay, and one can be had for far less than a day's wages at McD's. It is the soul of the elegant technological solution.

Then we turn around and say CRAP - after that great inventor and benefactor of mankind, Sir Thomas Crapper (he was knighted for it, you know.) Life just ain't fair sometimes.

That is - we discount that which is in our constant view, and actively push it from our consciousness. We must strain to see what is, we must actively perceive.

I only say this because I am "filled" with Satan, of course. Oddly enough - he weighs exactly 21 grams.

If you find no inspiration in Nature, you will never find a Useful Inspiration. For me, it is overwhelming, and I must stare at a computer just to simplify my life.