News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Request Timed Out

Started by AnimatedDirt, February 23, 2011, 09:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

I keep getting this message;
QuoteYour request timed out. Please retry the request.
I've logged out and back in thinking it may be something to do with that.  It's not.
The only thing that clears it (temporarily) is to kill the browser window and restart the browser.  But even then, I post one time and the next time, the message comes up again.

Ideas?

Recusant

I got that message today for one of the posts which I tried to make.  I simply clicked the "back" button on my browser [I'm using Chrome] and retried (successfully).  I would guess that it's something to do with the server.  I've noticed a certain slowness in the response of this site in the past couple of weeks or so, but nothing really serious...

[EDIT] OK, it just did it again for this post.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Recusant"I got that message today for one of the posts which I tried to make.  I simply clicked the "back" button and retried (successfully).  I would guess that it's something to do with the server.  I've noticed a certain slowness in the response of this site in the past couple of weeks or so, but nothing really serious...

[EDIT] OK, it just did it again for this post.
I click the <Back> button too, but it doesn't do anything.  It doesn't even go back.

Asmodean

Refresh the page. (Do it once - do not click the "refresh" button over and over if it's slow)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Recusant

Quote from: "AnimatedDirt"I click the <Back> button too, but it doesn't do anything.  It doesn't even go back.

I edited in that I'm using Chrome.  I don't know whether that makes any difference, and really you shouldn't have to use any particular browser to get better results here. (Though some Asian sites won't function properly with anything but IE.)  Just curious: Which browser are you using?

Just in case it's of any possible use to Whitney I've provided a screen shot thumbnail (click on it to get larger image):
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Whitney

i think it's a problem with the hosting server and generally only happens during peak hours (from my experience...works great all day till people get home from work in the US)...if it doesn't clear up soon I'm going to have to figure out how to migrate to a new host as this has been a problem in the past too.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: "Whitney"i think it's a problem with the hosting server and generally only happens during peak hours (from my experience...works great all day till people get home from work in the US)...if it doesn't clear up soon I'm going to have to figure out how to migrate to a new host as this has been a problem in the past too.
It's the first time I get this problem and I'm posting between the same hours 90% of the time.

BadPoison

It's happened to me thrice today - only when I'm posting something.

DirtyLeo

Only happens to me when I post a message using my iPad and refreshing the form submits it without problem.
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

DirtyLeo

I am also getting intermittent 500 Errors (Internal Server Error).
Your servers may not be able to support the load or is that a devine intervention that tries to shut HAF down? :D
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

Asmodean

Whitney's right. If HAF is on a shared server, this is likely due to traffic jams. Quite possibly, in connection with server upgrades or moving of sites between servers.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

KDbeads

I'm getting a ton of timed out and server error messages just about every time I've come here the last week.  Happens about every 6 weeks if that helps.  I'm using firefox.
It''s gotten so bad here the last few days that I don't stay for very long because I can't read anything  :raised:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

KDbeads

Of course now that I mention that... everything starts working just fine :hmm:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Whitney

Quote from: "KDbeads"Of course now that I mention that... everything starts working just fine :hmm:
That's what happens every time I end up having to complain at godaddy too...only this time I hadn't gotten around to calling yet.

AnimatedDirt

I'm not having problems today...   :bananacolor: