News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Cussed out and going to hell

Started by deman_3000, July 19, 2007, 10:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deman_3000

Well, I was out the other night with some friends and the topic of Atheisim was brought up and some other people heard the conversation. Even though they had to be straining to have heard the conversation. Either way they included themselves and followers of a religion I forget. Something like Yaeha. Anyway, as we talked one man became outraged and began cursing and telling me I was going to hell. He became enraged and infuriated. I remained calm as I always do and talked my way out. He finally went his way and we finished our night out.
I was just wondering how many of you have been in this situation and what you did?
I just can't understand a person thinking that he can engage someone in conversation, curse them for their beliefs that they will go to hell and think that a place called heaven awaits them for all the good they've done in the world.

tacoma_kyle

Yeah thats only on of the many deficiencies (spelling?) of many 'religious' people. Some act as they should, probably more like 5% of religious people act in a religious manner. The only time anything like that came up with me wasnt near on the level of intensity, but I and a good friend were talking about it, kinda randomly really. But he said 'You know your goin to hell, right?" I responded somin along the lines of, 'if thats the case and god exists, sure. But as far as I know I'm decomposing.' That was it.

You should just asked the guy why he so upset lol. Why should he care about you?

To make sure you dont feel alienated....

FUCK YOU YOUR GOING TO HEAVEN!!!! haha
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

SteveS

Yeah, I've had one or two very public conversations and I've gotten some strange looks, but I've never been accosted.

The last time I was accosted in public, I was discussing what I didn't like about New York City, where I had recently spent several weeks working.  This dude from a nearby table turned around and said "You've got a problem with New York?  What's your problem with New York?".  I should have said "I rest my case"  :wink:

Will

It's happened to me, too. I was in a book store (Borders? Not sure..) and I was talking with a group of maybe 6 or 7 friends. We were having a lively, but totally peaceful and respectful debate when a group of men walked by and apparently overheard. "You're a fucking idiot..." is a tough way to start a conversation, but the alpha male made such an attempt anyway. He explained to me, obviously oblivious to the existence of this book called "the bible", how god is real and how turning my back on him was an affront to not just god but religious people. I politely explained that not only was I raised Christian, but my father is a prominent spiritual leader in the area. It didn't even occur to this guy to suggest that my atheism could have been my way of rebelling. He went for the preverbal jugular. He told me that I was a disappointment to my father.
"Oh, you know my dad?"
"No, I don't have to."
"Ooooohhkay. So you don't know my dad, but you're willing to speak about his feeling towards me, someone you just met?"
At this point, it was clear that he wouldn't leave and was posturing for a physical confrontation. I don't particularly care about people wanting to fight me. As someone with a big mouth and plenty of opinions, I've been challenged more than a few times. I'm a pacifist, and I explained to the man that I appreciated his views, but we were leaving. In the back of my mind, I wanted to just rape him with facts about how Christianity really came from a combination of ancient myths and paganism, or how Creationism vs. Evolution was about tricking him into voting Republican, but what was that going to do? Someone who's ready to have a fist fight isn't in a position to listen.

If someone wants to attack you for being an atheist, be in a crowded area, or look for authorities. Your best bet is to walk away.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

SteveS

Turning your back on god is an affront to religious people - that's rich.

So, is accepting god an affront to atheists?  Or religious people of different religions?  Hard to imagine why there's so much violence in the middle east....

I'm not a pacifist, but I've never wanted to fight someone simply because they were a theist.  I've wanted to fight someone because they were a Red Wings fan, but that's totally different  :wink:  

I'm only kidding, I don't think I've ever really wanted to fight someone.  Too easy to lose (read: get f***ed up) and what do you get out of it if you win?  Risk/reward, that whole business....

Quote from: "Willravel"Your best bet is to walk away.
Sound advice.  But if they're total badasses, and they're committed to the altercation, I'd suggest running instead of walking  :wink:

Will

Quote from: "SteveS"Turning your back on god is an affront to religious people - that's rich.

So, is accepting god an affront to atheists?
It's funny you say that, as that was the first thing that ran through my mind. I believe that much the same as many homophobes are latent and repressed homosexuals, the most religious, those that ridicule and abuse and repress others, are latent atheists. It's their insecurity with their faith that makes them constantly battle others, but really themselves, about the nature of their faith.
Quote from: "SteveS"I'm not a pacifist, but I've never wanted to fight someone simply because they were a theist.  I've wanted to fight someone because they were a Red Wings fan, but that's totally different  :wink:  

I'm only kidding, I don't think I've ever really wanted to fight someone.  Too easy to lose (read: get f***ed up) and what do you get out of it if you win?  Risk/reward, that whole business....
I've been taking boxing and martial arts for going on 16 years. I could have wiped the floor with him and not broken a sweat (probably), but that's hardly going to solve anything. All it's going to do is support his antagonizing of me and through me all atheism.

It would have been funny to see him explain to his girlfriend/mother that he lost a fight to an atheist, though.
Quote from: "Willravel"Your best bet is to walk away.
Sound advice.  But if they're total badasses, and they're committed to the altercation, I'd suggest running instead of walking  :wink:[/quote]
There you go.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

I've really only run into people like that online.  I guess I haven't had that problem in person because I don't bring up the topic of religion with people I don't know well and if I know the person well I know how they will react and steer the conversation in a way which won't get them pissy.  Like with my mom, I don't discuss atheism but will discuss issues with religion in general and also about specific religions.  I guess I'm just not a very confrontational person unless the other person starts it.

MommaSquid

I'll just quickly echo what laetusatheos said.  I don't often discuss my non-beliefs with "real live" people, either.  General discussions about religion are fine, but when you start sharing specifics with people, things tend to get heated and/or uncomfortable.