News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Boredom

Started by Cite134, December 28, 2010, 04:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cite134

I was talking to my friend on FB, and she made note of the fact that she was bored. This has got me thinking about boredom. Is it only a condition human beings suffer from? Or do other lifeforms do as well? I briefly looked it up under wiki, and there were many psychological & philosophical implications on its existence.

Does it only exist when the attention span isn't being stimulated? I think it may be a result of a lack of activity in the higher brain functions in apes. I don't know, I could be wrong. Anyone else have thoughts about boredom?
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

The Magic Pudding

:|
There is this thread about animal boredom.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5255

Cite134

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding":|
There is this thread about animal boredom.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5255

Oh wow. Lol. Well, sorry. I didn't notice this thread before, or I wouldn't even make this one.  :shake:

The Magic Pudding

No sorry required
BTW, the bored smiley wasn't meant to be judgemental, he seemed appropriate.  :|

Cite134

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"No sorry required
BTW, the bored smiley wasn't meant to be judgemental, he seemed appropriate.  :)

Wilson

Boredom is an evolved characteristic of our species that gets us up off our lazy butts to accomplish something that may make it more likely for us to survive and breed.