News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Absolute zero or light speed?

Started by Ihateyoumike, November 26, 2010, 08:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihateyoumike

Which one will we achieve first, or will we never be able to accomplish either of them?

Discuss.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

skwurll

Absolute zero, we've been close within fractions of a degree.
Light speed is still a while off.

Ihateyoumike

Sorry. I guess I should have been more specific. With light speed I didn't mean sending ourselves at light speed, but anything. As I understand it, they've gotten very close with the LHC.
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.

joeactor

Light speed has been achieved...

FIRE GOOD!

(going to turn on my in-home photon generator now)

hackenslash

Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"Which one will we achieve first, or will we never be able to accomplish either of them?

Discuss.

Neither.

Accelerating anything with mass to c in spacetime is prohibited by the geometry of spacetime, and absolute zero is prohibited by the uncertainty principle.
There is no more formidable or insuperable barrier to knowledge than the certainty you already possess it.

Dretlin

Quote from: "skwurll"Absolute zero, we've been close within fractions of a degree.
Light speed is still a while off.

That is exciting! There is a statue of Lord Kelvin himself at my University and is mentioned often in my lectures. We have not touched upon recent experiments yet.

SSY

Quote from: "hackenslash"
Quote from: "Ihateyoumike"Which one will we achieve first, or will we never be able to accomplish either of them?

Discuss.

Neither.

Accelerating anything with mass to c in spacetime is prohibited by the geometry of spacetime, and absolute zero is prohibited by the uncertainty principle.

+1. c speed (for massive objects) is prohibited by relativity, and the third law of thermodynamics prohibits reaching absolute zero, as well as the Uncertainty principle.

Of course, having said that, once people thought you couldn't go faster than sound.

Also I like the way the laws of thermodynamics were conceived, we had the first two, then the third, then the zeroth, it's delightfully slapdash.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick