News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Atheists and Abstinence

Started by hunterman317, November 06, 2010, 01:29:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumpalumpacus

There's good indication that there is a strong inverse correlation between sex ed and teen pregnancy, at least here in America.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Asmodean

Quote from: "Croaker"I think for my boys I'm just going to tell them that as soon as they get a job and are okay with working their asses off to support any form of an unplanned pregnancy, they can boink whoever the hell they want - considering that's what happened to me  :hmm:  No un-planned pregnancies, but rubber use is highly adviseable still, because of bugs and germs and viruses and all ye regular sexually transmitted nastiness,
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Asmodean"
Quote from: "Croaker"I think for my boys I'm just going to tell them that as soon as they get a job and are okay with working their asses off to support any form of an unplanned pregnancy, they can boink whoever the hell they want - considering that's what happened to me  :hmm:  No un-planned pregnancies, but rubber use is highly adviseable still, because of bugs and germs and viruses and all ye regular sexually transmitted nastiness,

Ever the cheerful one, you are.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Croaker

Oh yeah, I totally agree with that - I'll definitely be advocating their usage of protection, regardless of their sexual orientation. In the end, I have no desire to exert final control over their lives - but I'm hoping that maybe they can understand that keeping it in their pants until they at least get a job (and preferably until financially stable) might be a good idea. If they can't wait, then make sure their girl is on the pill or something. I'd much rather be the parent who says "Hey, I know you're probably nailing someone, so let me give you some cash to keep yourself protected" rather than the parent who goes "DON"T HAVE SEX!!11one!1"

Asmodean

Quote from: "Croaker""Hey, I know you're probably nailing someone, so let me give you some cash to keep yourself protected" rather than the parent who goes "DON"T HAVE SEX!!11one!1"
I think that is a good way of doing it.

Openness. That won't hurt much either. And you will not get openness with your kids if all you do is dictate... At least not with teenagers. Based on personal experience, I can say that for me, at least, the one person close to me who tried to reason with me was, in the long run, far more influential than the two who tried to push me in whatever direction they wanted.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Croaker

Quote from: "Croaker""Hey, I know you're probably nailing someone, so let me give you some cash to keep yourself protected" rather than the parent who goes "DON"T HAVE SEX!!11one!1"
I think that is a good way of doing it.

Openness. That won't hurt much either. And you will not get openness with your kids if all you do is dictate... At least not with teenagers. Based on personal experience, I can say that for me, at least, the one person close to me who tried to reason with me was, in the long run, far more influential than the two who tried to push me in whatever direction they wanted.

I've always thought that the best teachers are those that explain the why of something. Rather than teach endless examples and strict rules (which there are some specific places for, I imagine), the ones who make you understand the why always, IMHO, seemed better.

Which is one of the problems I have with religious dictates - they're too caught up in the "Don't do XYZ" rather than the explanation of why you might not want to do X, why Y is actually harmful for your health and how your wife will be happier with you if you don't do Z.

Abstinence embodies this problem - rather than explain how one could have safe sex and why someone could benefit in ways from waiting until older (which I believe exist to some degree), the rule is just "Don't do it!"

Islador

Quote from: "hunterman317"Any atheists believe in this?

Personally I feel that abstinence is an unrealitistic option for most people and that contraception is a far more reliable method to prevent unwanted pregnancy, assuming that is what this vague thread it about.

Kylyssa

Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "Croaker"A question for everyone - if you provide rather thorough sex education, are you 'enabling' the kids? I mean, are they more likely to go out and have sex, armed with their knowledge of what to do?
No, inevitably they'll figure out "what to do" regardless. What they need to know is what precautions are necessary and how they work.

Can I get an "Amen!" for Elliebean?  Humans instinctively know how to copulate, it's birth control and safety precautions that need to be taught..

Croaker

Quote from: "Kylyssa"
Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "Croaker"A question for everyone - if you provide rather thorough sex education, are you 'enabling' the kids? I mean, are they more likely to go out and have sex, armed with their knowledge of what to do?
No, inevitably they'll figure out "what to do" regardless. What they need to know is what precautions are necessary and how they work.

Can I get an "Amen!" for Elliebean?  Humans instinctively know how to copulate, it's birth control and safety precautions that need to be taught..

I would agree with this, especially when many parents don't bother explaining anything to their kids.

Stevil

It's a personal choice, hopefully an informed and considered one.

It's a funny topic though, don't you think?
Some of the rules and statements coming out of religious organisations do seem to be quite odd.
I find it especially intriguing that people that have supposedly never had sex have such strong opinions about it and make up the rules for those who are having or will be having sex.