News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Live and let live or challenge? Atheists to theists:

Started by Will, May 31, 2007, 08:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

I've always figured that a majority of atheists have a basic policy of live and let live with theists. So long as they aren't treading on us, they can go worship whomever or whatever they want. I'll admit that when I was first becoming an atheist, I had some resentment, but it's long since gone.

So what's your policy? Are you a live and let live atheist?
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Squid

I'm pretty much am - I could care less what or who someone worships until it starts making negative impacts such as legislating one belief over others, forcing your ideology onto others, and so forth.

I don't care if someone prays over their lunch in a public high school, I don't care if there are a huge groups for Christians or any other religious sect on a college campus, I don't care that there's a guy out on the street corner preaching - it's his right - he's not cornering anyone, he's not knocking on my door at 8 in the morning - he's exercising his free speech right.  You have a belief in a deity? Cool, good for you.

However, don't go changing the science curriculum to be in line with your ideology, don't tell my kid they have to pray in school if they don't want to - just as I wouldn't tell your kid they can't pray in school if they want to, and if you knock on my door at 8 in the morning on the weekend and ask me if I've found Jesus, I will slam the door in your face - not because you're peddling Jesus but because you unnecessarily woke me up - just ask the Kirby vacuum salesman - they'll tell you the same thing happens to them.

Also, this persecution complex really needs to go.  I always hear how persecuted the religious are by the "evil secularists" - you know, most of those who uphold the wall of separation between church and state, that keep prayer out of the high school and evolution in the classroom are your fellow theists right?  You can pray in your own home, gather at your church, talk about religion with your friends, praise your god whereever you want, buy religious books, trinkets, t-shirts, music and even put a gigantic Jesus on the hood of your car - as far as religious freedoms go, you're damn lucky.

Anyhow, sorry to turn that into a small rant but just offering my perspective.

SteveS

Yes, I think so --- and I try to be.  The resentment that I have is that people behave as if it's okay for a religious family member (not immediate family, think extended family here) to say "I'm praying for you", or "god has blessed you", or some such, and they expect me to just take it.  If I were ever to speak out, it may cause a permanent rift.  This is what I resent --- I want "equality of beliefs".  Why should I have to tiptoe around someone's religion, while they get to fling it about whenever they please?  It's really annoying.

But, at the same time, I certainly don't think churches should be illegal, or religion should be banned, or any such thing.  Then, I'd just be doing the same thing that the intolerant religions have done throughout history to other faiths and/or atheists.  I think tolerance is the key.

My 2 cents, anyway.

tacoma_kyle

Live and let live, basically sums it up as was originally stated.
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

brainshmain

I try to follow the live and let live mantra.  However if any kind of religious doctrine threatens my rights in any way, I would fight back.  If my child is being taught creationism as fact in school, you'll hear from me.  If me or someone I loved needed emergency contraceptive and the pharmacist's religious beliefs caused them to refuse it to me, you'll better be wearing a cup.  Just yesterday on the bus as man offered me a religious pamphlet.  I kindly refused, and he ended up ranting to me about how I should call the publisher and apologize and all this ridiculous crap, therefore ruining a good portion of my trip to the park.  I won't stand for that.  But I try hard to be curtious and respectful of others beliefs as long as it doesn't negatively effect my life.

p.s. like my new sig?

MommaSquid

Live and let die...dun dun dun...dun dun dun...dun dun...

Oh, sorry.

As long as people don't shove their religious beliefs in my face, I'm pretty tolerant.  If they get pushy about it, I get snarky.

I just don't understand how so many seemingly smart people believe so many dumb things.

skeptigirl

I don't mind the beliefs so much, but I can't tolerate the consequences of teaching kids anti-science propaganda.

How do you live and let live when the evidence based world is under attack?

Will

Live and let live means attempting to live in peace, or at least not firing the first shot. ID was a shot in my child's face. When one tries to remove ID from schools, they're just trying to fix a mess, not attack theists.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Whitney

Quote from: "Willravel"Live and let live means attempting to live in peace, or at least not firing the first shot. ID was a shot in my child's face. When one tries to remove ID from schools, they're just trying to fix a mess, not attack theists.

That's pretty much how I see it....I don't care what a person believes until it starts negatively affecting others....in the above case negatively affecting our children's education.

SteveS

Quote from: "brainshmain"However if any kind of religious doctrine threatens my rights in any way, I would fight back. If my child is being taught creationism as fact in school, you'll hear from me. If me or someone I loved needed emergency contraceptive and the pharmacist's religious beliefs caused them to refuse it to me, you'll better be wearing a cup.
Yup - agree with all this.  Live and let live only works if both parties are willing to go with it.  If the theists are oppressive, then they must be opposed.  It's just the answer isn't to oppress the rights of the theists, just make them stop what they're doing.

rlrose328

I am pretty much live and let live.

They can worship how they wish, pray to themselves anywhere they wish (or even in small groups as long as neither I nor my son are required to participate), wear religious clothing or jewelry, etc.

I draw the line at making laws based on their beliefs (stem cell research, abortion and gay marriage being three MAJOR issues that are bandied about based SOLELY on religious beliefs).  These things affect me and mine and I resent that they can use their religious beliefs to ban (or want to ban) these issues.

Other than that, I'm good.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

shoruke

I guess I'm a "live and let live... if you do" atheist. I'm fine with letting people believe what they want to believe... if anyone needs the mental security that death doesn't truly exist, they're entitled to believe that. But I'm entitled to not let anyone tell me that's how it actually goes down.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

doggone

Hey Guys :
  As a businessman, my opening 'mission statement' would be this:  "You’re interesting, but you folks have Science all wrong"....  No offense is intended to the majority of the folks here. You use all the fancy talk, but you stop short of positive science. You don't follow through with good scientific principle.. Would you be interested in discussing such..??

McQ

Quote from: "doggone"Hey Guys :
  As a businessman, my opening 'mission statement' would be this:  "You’re interesting, but you folks have Science all wrong"....  No offense is intended to the majority of the folks here. You use all the fancy talk, but you stop short of positive science. You don't follow through with good scientific principle.. Would you be interested in discussing such..??

Would you care to explain why you're typing this in this particular thread? What is your point, and would you care to post it in the appropriate thread?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

donkeyhoty

Quote from: "McQ"Would you care to explain why you're typing this in this particular thread? What is your point, and would you care to post it in the appropriate thread?

doggone, I concur with McQ.  We can't read you mind.  If you have something specific to discuss start a new topic.  If not, at least try to be tangentially related to the topic at hand.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson