News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Losing Your Religion May Be Unhealthy

Started by Sophus, September 22, 2010, 10:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

From ScienceDaily:

QuotePeople who leave strict religious groups are more likely to say their health is worse than members who remain in the group, according to a Penn State researcher.
"Previous research showed some association between belonging to a religious group and positive health outcomes," Scheitle said. "We became interested in what would happen to your health if you left a religious group. Would people demonstrate any negative health outcomes?"...
The social solidarity and social support could have psychological benefits," Scheitle said. "That could then lead to certain health benefits."
Religious beliefs may also promote better health by providing hope and encouraging positive thinking.

Really? What about all of the cognitive dissonance on the religious side?

Another article about how the decrease in religious belief may not be fading as rapidly as commonly thought:

QuoteBut when it comes to religion, new research has revealed that Gen-Xers are surprisingly loyal to their faith -- a finding that also suggests the rising non-religious tide in the United States may be leveling off.
In a study published in the latest edition of The Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, University of Nebraska-Lincoln sociologist Philip Schwadel showed that Gen-Xers are, in comparison with their Baby Boomer predecessors, far more likely to adhere to their religion. In fact, Boomers are 40 to 50 percent more likely than Gen-Xers to "disaffiliate" from their faith.

Loyalty to faith might not even be all that matters. A lot of people are raised under a certain faith but don't get enthused about it, or "rededicate their life" until later in life.

Sorry, I'm always the Debbie Downer.  :P
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

notself

Quote from: "Sophus"From ScienceDaily:

QuotePeople who leave strict religious groups are more likely to say their health is worse than members who remain in the group, according to a Penn State researcher.
"Previous research showed some association between belonging to a religious group and positive health outcomes," Scheitle said. "We became interested in what would happen to your health if you left a religious group. Would people demonstrate any negative health outcomes?"...
The social solidarity and social support could have psychological benefits," Scheitle said. "That could then lead to certain health benefits."
Religious beliefs may also promote better health by providing hope and encouraging positive thinking.

I would like to see the methodology for this study.  Many religions have injunctions against alcohol.  Mormons, Baptists, Quakers, Mennonites, Amish, Muslums and Methodists usually do not drink.  Alcohol is closely linked to many health issues .  If it didn't control for alcohol consumption then it was not a valid study.

Sophus

By drinking do yo mean... ever? In that case, they should use me then. I don't drink. Still, how much could an occasional glass of wine or beer hurt moderate drinkers?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

notself

Quote from: "Sophus"By drinking do yo mean... ever? In that case, they should use me then. I don't drink. Still, how much could an occasional glass of wine or beer hurt moderate drinkers?

One glass a day for women increases the chances of breast cancer.
Two glasses a day for anyone increases the chances of colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, oral cancer, esphogeal cancer and other cancers.
Even one glass a day can for some people raise the risk of heart disease.

People who seldom or never drink have a much better chance of living a healthy life.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Sophus"Really? What about all of the cognitive dissonance on the religious side?
Some people are accused of thinking too much.
If these types stay with god they may be likely to suffer cognitive dissonance.
If they leave they may worry about something else.
Some of the people here are sad bastards, I don't know if this is significant.

Martin TK

Quote from: "notself"
Quote from: "Sophus"By drinking do yo mean... ever? In that case, they should use me then. I don't drink. Still, how much could an occasional glass of wine or beer hurt moderate drinkers?

One glass a day for women increases the chances of breast cancer.
Two glasses a day for anyone increases the chances of colon cancer, pancreatic cancer, oral cancer, esphogeal cancer and other cancers.
Even one glass a day can for some people raise the risk of heart disease.

People who seldom or never drink have a much better chance of living a healthy life.

I disagree.  Moderate drinkers tend to have better health and live longer than those who are either abstainers or heavy drinkers. In addition to having fewer heart attacks and strokes, moderate consumers of alcoholic beverages (beer, wine or distilled spirits or liquor) are generally less likely to suffer hypertension or high blood pressure, peripheral artery disease, Alzheimer's disease and the common cold.
"Ever since the 19th Century, Theologians have made an overwhelming case that the gospels are NOT reliable accounts of what happened in the history of the real world"   Richard Dawkins - The God Delusion

notself

The studies are now indicating that alcohol consumption may only benefit certain categories of people.  This is from the Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alcohol/SC00024

QuoteModerate alcohol use may be of most benefit only if you're an older adult or if you have existing risk factors for heart disease, such as high cholesterol. If you're a middle-aged or younger adult, some evidence shows that even moderate alcohol use may cause more harm than good. In fact, if you're a woman and drink alcohol, talk to your doctor about taking supplemental folate to help reduce the risk of breast cancer associated with alcohol use. You can take other steps to benefit your cardiovascular health besides drinking â€" eating a healthy diet and exercising, for example.

The following is from PubMed the site hosted by the National Institute of Health.  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18937903

QuoteEstablished effects include increased high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and antithrombotic activity, providing plausible mechanisms for the observed association of moderate drinking with lower risk of coronary heart disease but higher risk of hemorrhagic stroke. However, moderate drinking increases sex steroid hormone levels and may interfere with folate metabolism, both of which are potential mechanisms for the observed associations of moderate drinking with several forms of cancer, particularly breast and colorectal. Genetic susceptibility to the effects of alcohol on cancer and coronary heart disease also differs across the population. Recommendations regarding moderate drinking must be individualized to reflect the potentially competing effects of alcohol on several chronic diseases.

At most alcohol has a mixed effect on health.  Which brings us back to the study itself.  Unless it addresses alcohol use on health of religious people vs non religious people, the study is flawed.