News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

All is void.

Started by Quan Yin, September 19, 2010, 10:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i_am_i

Quote from: "Quan Yin"
Quote from: "i_am_i"I grant you the full right to have a non-existent mind. All I ask in return is that you grant me the right to actually have a mind, an existing mind, my mind, my mind that I use every day to keep food on my table, gasoline in my car and a roof over my head.

You think that abstract notions like "time" "continuity", and "process" have ontological status of their own? They are free floating? If these concepts are mind-dependent, then how does the mind exist objectively?

Oh brother. Look, whatever it is that you're full of please don't bottle it and put it on the market. I'd be worried about it getting into the hands of children.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Quan Yin

We are all one -- doesn't that invigorate you? We are objective reality. Ignore mental fictions.
“All the people will not experience the love energy in the same way. Some will be comforted. Some will be changed. And some will be confused and even angry.” -Quan Yin

i_am_i

Quote from: "Quan Yin"We are all one -- doesn't that invigorate you? We are objective reality. Ignore mental fictions.

No, it doesn't in the least little bit invigorate me. What invigorates me is living, being alive, being a human being in this very strange life in this very strange universe. Not knowing and not needing to know what it all means is invigorating. Meeting head-on the next situation that comes up and doing it very well invigorates me.

Smoking a rack of ribs until the meat falls off the bones, that invigorates me. Reading a great book, hearing great music, observing my fellow human beings going about their day-to-day lives and connnecting with those human beings in a meaningful way, that invigorates me.

All this talk about voids and non-existence...no, I don't get anything invigorating from that. There's just too much life to live, too much fun to have, too many fascinating things to experience, to sit around pondering about what it all means.

This is where you fall down, this is where all religions fall down, and yours is very much a religion. Whenever I hear someone say that this life doesn't matter, that human beings don't matter, that our minds and what we do with them don't matter, then I smell the stink of the breath from the plague that is the life's blood of religion.

It would suit religions very well if it were true that human beings don't matter, that their lives don't matter, but it simply doesn't work out that way. Humanity is nothing to be taken lightly. Religion takes humanity lightly and that, to me, is where religion falls down.
Call me J

Sapere aude

Sophus

Quote from: "Quan Yin"We are all one -- doesn't that invigorate you?
Does this mean Bono is the Buddha reincarnated?

[youtube:2xrji9gl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyW1XQrNhk[/youtube:2xrji9gl]
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

wildfire_emissary

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "Quan Yin"We are all one -- doesn't that invigorate you?
Does this mean Bono is the Buddha reincarnated?

[youtube:1rjltjc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqyW1XQrNhk[/youtube:1rjltjc4]
With the available information, yes.  :headbang:
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Thumpalumpacus

At least we understand that OP's mind is an illusion.  Of that, we have hard evidence.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

notself

wildfire_emissary

I am reminded of two Beatles songs.
QuoteI Am The Walrus: I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.
and
QuoteTomorrow Never Knows: Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream
It is not dying, it is not dying
Lay down all thoughts, surrender to the void
It is shining, it is shining.
It's been admitted that John was high on acid while writing the track.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Quan Yin

I see now that I was wrong in my formulation. I was stuck on negation, and only seeing half of the puzzle. It is false to say that there is no self, or that subjective reality is an illusion. One must hold the dissonance in their mind -- I was not seeing past the duality of subjectivity, and objectivity -- it is that things are simultaneously empty, and substantive. Nothingness, and  somethingness. Top-down, and bottom-up. Individuals, and one. The spike of symmetry breaks, and goes forward in time, complexity reaches the point of the emergence of minds, and they rationalize backwards in time. It is holistic, and cyclical. It is self-contained.

Reality in a nutshell.
“All the people will not experience the love energy in the same way. Some will be comforted. Some will be changed. And some will be confused and even angry.” -Quan Yin

PoopShoot

That sounds about like a colloquial version of string theory.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Quan Yin

Quote from: "PoopShoot"That sounds about like a colloquial version of string theory.

Then you misunderstand one of us. My speculations are metaphysical, string theory is not.

PoopShoot

Metaphysics is mental fiction.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Quan Yin

Quote from: "PoopShoot"Metaphysics is mental fiction.

Lol, touche.

Thumpalumpacus

Sounds like horseshit to me.
Illegitimi non carborundum.