News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Does school kill creativity?

Started by omfgzmariah, September 03, 2010, 05:06:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DropLogic

We never move beyond the playground, even in adult life.  You have your bullies, your jocks (though now it's all a fantasy  lol ), your nerds (IT dept), etc etc...There is still name calling, drama, rumors, cheating, skipping class (though now, if you're lucky enough, you still get credit [paid]).
 Is that what school really prepares us for?
Education begins in the home.  My parents were both high achievers scholastically, as well as my sister who is finishing her PhD in neuro biology.  I have them to thank for my mind, and the ease at which I got through the awful public school system.  Almost every important lesson I have learned in life came after school though.  Something to consider.

fishyfish

Let me share with you guys something that Gareth Wilson writes in his book, "The Plain Truths of Religion"

QuoteAs you can no doubt tell, like many a British disbeliever nowadays, I emerged from a primary school education that, despite being provided by the state, squandered hundreds of hours worth of access to child minds â€" all in the prime of expansion and at their most rapid capacity to absorb and store knowledge â€" with one-sided, untested and unproven superstition.

Wilson further argues that all these religious non-sense is taking away the time, money and effort that should have been spent on stuff that matters like creativity, art and other disciplines like math and science.

Category

I'm beginning to wish a few of you held some position of high authority, or at least some way to open this topic on a global scale. I'm just now exiting the public school system as a senior in high school and it's been one helluva ride. I came into the system a "gifted child" at pre-k (IKR?), and it's only been down hill from there with me ending up in a credit recovery course just to graduate on time this year.

The content we're presented throughout our years of "learning" is literally the exact material that shows up on standardized tests and nothing more. The goal of schools (or at least my school) is simply to score high on a national average, whether or not children learn anything of use is really up to the family they come home to.

I wouldn't say schools kill creativity though, because in my mind creativity doesn't belong in today's schools. When I imagine someone being creative in school it's doing something they're not supposed to be doing, whether it be doodling during notes or word play in the senior lounge it tends to be looked down upon by faculty and the most creativity I've ever found has been when these pent up kids come home and hop on facebook and forums and really interact without adult influence.
I ask theists if God is omnipotent. They say yes.
I ask theists if God loves us. They say yes.
I read the news paper or look on the web or remember other people's sad stories or remember things that happened to me...and I see that no omnipotent entity loves us.
I ask theists if they can prove their god. They can't.
So, I have excellent reason to