News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Self Defense

Started by Laser Sailor, August 05, 2010, 11:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laser Sailor

Let's discuss your views on Self Defense, the legality of guns, knifes, and other weapons, when violence is justifiable ect . . .
When I was little, I prayed to God for a new bike.
But then I learned that God doesn't work that way.
So I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.

humblesmurph

I've never owned a gun.  I do carry a knife from time to time. I'm not sure there is such a thing as an opinion on self defense.  That would seem like an opinion on water being wet.  Wouldn't everybody agree that we all have the right to defend ourselves?

The Magic Pudding

The is a claim that when a gun is brought into a house,
it is more likely to harm a family member than protect them.

Knives don't seem like a defensive weapon.
They are'nt big and shiedly like a shield.
They're sharp and pointy like a knife.

How many people carrying a knife know what they're doing?
Present a knife in your own defence and you raise the stakes.
If you succeed you may end up in jail.

Tom62

I learned of lot about self defense by watching this educational video  ;)
[youtube:3g86v77u]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w[/youtube:3g86v77u]
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

skwurll

I am of the opinion that every person should be able to defend themselves from assault or home invasion. Whether it be with their hands or a weapon.

If your attacker is intent on causing you bodily harm, you are well within your rights as a human being to shoot him/her until they have ceased attacking you.

Whether you pretend to agree or not, if some crazed person started running at you with a chainsaw, you wouldn't hesitate to defend yourself.

humblesmurph

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"The is a claim that when a gun is brought into a house,

Knives don't seem like a defencive weapon.

MP, guns do seem to be more dangerous than they are worth when there are children in the home.  However, if I was a woman who lived alone, I'd certainly own a gun if it was legal (maybe if it wasn't).  All weapons are defensive weapons.  A shield isn't a weapon, it's a shield.  Not much to know about knives buddy, point the sharp end at the bad guy and thrust.

skwurll

Quote from: "The Magic Pudding"The is a claim that when a gun is brought into a house,

Knives don't seem like a defensive weapon.

Well I both agree and disagree with your post.
Sure a knife isn't a good defensive weapon if you don't know what you're doing, but what weapon is in that situation?
In my opinion, a blunt object like a bat or crowbar is a better defensive weapon, smash them in the knees and down they go.

If we're talking about guns, most of the time the presence of a gun is a strong deterrent towards attackers.
Who's going to proceed to rob a house with a gun pointed at them? I'd recommend a small caliber like a .17 or .22, that way there's a very small chance of it being fatal compared to a larger caliber.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "humblesmurph"A shield isn't a weapon, it's a shield.  
You're sure about that?

Quote from: "humblesmurph"Not much to know about knives buddy, point the sharp end at the bad guy and thrust.
Have you ever played tennis, or another sport you’re not familiar with, against someone who does?
Oh you’re probably right, how hard can it be.
I just hope my opponent is gentlemanly enough to stand still...

humblesmurph

MP, A shield could of course be used as a weapon, so could a pencil.  A knife or sword or bat or gun might be a little more useful in fighting somebody off.  

I know how to use a knife, and a tennis racket for that matter. A knife would be very useful if somebody tried to rob me with a knife.  A mugger wants my money, not a knife fight--at least not with me.  A friend of mine was raped by a man who had no weapon, a knife would have been useful.  I've had two friends mugged with no weapons involved (two separate incidents). In both cases two guys just jumped out and demanded money.  No way they get away with that if my friends had knives.

Tank

Quote from: "humblesmurph"MP, A shield could of course be used as a weapon, so could a pencil.  A knife or sword or bat or gun might be a little more useful in fighting somebody off.  

I know how to use a knife, and a tennis racket for that matter. A knife would be very useful if somebody tried to rob me with a knife.  A mugger wants my money, not a knife fight--at least not with me.  A friend of mine was raped by a man who had no weapon, a knife would have been useful.  I've had two friends mugged with no weapons involved (two separate incidents). In both cases two guys just jumped out and demanded money.  No way they get away with that if my friends had knives.
Is money that important to you? None of my possessions is more important to me than my health and well being. It's not about material loss at all, it's about emotional loss of face in the case of a mugging where no violence is involved. The funny thing is I regularly walk around with £1,000+ of camera kit on me and it's not the sort of thing one can hide. If somebody threatened me with violence for the camera gear I'd hand over the gear and buy better stuff with the insurance money! The only loss to me would be any images on the memory card that I had not yet downloaded to my PC.

I have the serial numbers of all the kit I own and that can be traced on ebay if they try and sell the stuff. A friend of ours had their garage broken into and the kids bikes stolen. They made a concerted effort and within a week they had found one of the bikes for sale at a local shop. They bought it back and over the next few months the shop owner was charged with receiving stolen goods (from his brother  lol ) and both ended up in court and the number of burglaries in the area dropped dramatically.

Personally I would not feel comfortable carrying a weapon of any kind for self-defence.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

humblesmurph

Quote from: "Tank"
Quote from: "humblesmurph"MP, A shield could of course be used as a weapon, so could a pencil.  A knife or sword or bat or gun might be a little more useful in fighting somebody off.

Quote from: "Tank"Is money that important to you? None of my possessions is more important to me than my health and well being. It's not about material loss at all, it's about emotional loss of face in the case of a mugging where no violence is involved. The funny thing is I regularly walk around with £1,000+ of camera kit on me and it's not the sort of thing one can hide. If somebody threatened me with violence for the camera gear I'd hand over the gear and buy better stuff with the insurance money! The only loss to me would be any images on the memory card that I had not yet downloaded to my PC.

I have the serial numbers of all the kit I own and that can be traced on ebay if they try and sell the stuff. A friend of ours had their garage broken into and the kids bikes stolen. They made a concerted effort and within a week they had found one of the bikes for sale at a local shop. They bought it back and over the next few months the shop owner was charged with receiving stolen goods (from his brother  lol ) and both ended up in court and the number of burglaries in the area dropped dramatically.

Personally I would not feel comfortable carrying a weapon of any kind for self-defence.

Tank, it's not about money, it's about my personal liberty.  Obviously if it is more prudent to run, I'll run. Let's say the man doesn't want your camera, but he wants you to bend over to take it up the woo hoo, do you fight then?  BTW, a gun has very little practical purpose besides killing.  I carry a knife and have never used it in self defense. I have however used it countless times for, well, cutting.

Thumpalumpacus

I don't have a problem defending myself, and know how to do so.  Circumstances would have to dictate whether I actually did or not.  For instance, early in my adulthood, I was twice robbed clerking at a liquor store.  The first time was at knife-point, and I had a baseball bat; the second time was at gunpoint, and I had access to a .357, usable with little fuss or danger of being found out by the robber.

At neither time did I resist.  The money wasn't mine, and was insured.

Had I been walking down the street, perhaps I'd have a different story; as pointed out above, it's dependent on circumstance, not any moral imperative.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

pinkocommie

Self defense makes sense to me.  Stuff defense?  No.  They can have it.  It's just stuff.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

KebertX

Quote from: "pinkocommie"Self defense makes sense to me.  Stuff defense?  No.  They can have it.  It's just stuff.

I agree entirely.

In a hypothetical situation I tend to say I could never hurt another human being. But that's just abstract morality, If I were actually in a position where I had to defend my life against someone else, I don't think I would stick to my pacifist convictions.

I'm just crossing my fingers hoping that doesn't happen. :sigh:
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Whitney

I think that if you aren't trained in how to make sure the attacker won't be able to take your weapon away from you that you are better off not carrying a weapon.  The average person probably will freeze and not be able to pull the trigger even if they are being attacked; why do you think they have to do so much in the army to dehumanize the enemy?  The average person most definitely would not be prepared to do something as intimately brutal as fighting with a knife.

I can kick pretty hard and have a couple bats and other blunt objects in the house...assuming hiding didn't work I would resort to a hit and run like hell technique and hope for the best.

Quote from: "pinkocommie"Self defense makes sense to me.  Stuff defense?  No.  They can have it.  It's just stuff.

I agree.