News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Biblical foreknowledge?

Started by Nergel, May 25, 2007, 03:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeptigirl

Quote from: "Nergel"
QuoteOK Nergel, I've heard all those claims of the Bible supposedly having some knowledge that only a god would have known. I've heard this one before too.
I wish I can get a few rebbutals then, perhaps you know of a pre-topics about this?
I don't know what you mean, but rebut away. I'm up for it.

QuoteSo which is it, pillars or nothing? Pillars are mentioned twice.
it's not speaking of a pedestal upon which the earth sits, but rather the creation of the earth
How convenient, just change pillar to "creation". That's a good one. Did you study ancient Hebrew or Aramaic to come up with your own translation or just repeat what someone else told you?
QuoteAnd as has already been mentioned, the Biblical version of Creation is a complete myth
True, the two accounts are known to be written by two known authors, I forgot their names though
So your point is? Is the Bible accurate or is it full of errors? Are the stories supposed to be true or are they myths? And who said so?
QuoteAnd all women are supposedly punished for Eve's Original Sin by suffering the pain of childbirth. We were supposedly forgiven by Jesus. Then why didn't child birth pain even merit mention in the New Testament let alone go away for those who are "saved"?
Nice perception. But I think Jesus just gave an oppurutunity for believers t go to heaven, nothing more
So God didn't really forgive us? Is that your interpretation? Or we get forgiven after Jesus but it takes two more millennia for God to take back the punishment? And then he only takes it back for better off people. Those from the poorer ranks among the flock can't afford medical care for childbirth, let alone epidurals.

I see.

Nergel

QuoteI don't know what you mean, but rebut away. I'm up for it.
I just thought you guys knew of some other topic were those claims of scientific facts are debunked
QuoteHow convenient, just change pillar to "creation". That's a good one. Did you study ancient Hebrew or Aramaic to come up with your own translation or just repeat what someone else told you?
Prove me wrong and ill accept it gladly
QuoteSo your point is? Is the Bible accurate or is it full of errors? Are the stories supposed to be true or are they myths? And who said so?
I never said I was a christian, it's more correct to say im a deist. Either way the bible has many undeniable contradictions such as the birth of jesus, so it wasn't divinely inspired. More likely it was changed by man over time

jcm

I got one for you...Nergel where is the biblical foreknowledge here?

I set My rainbow in the cloud, and it shall be for the sign of the covenant between Me and the earth. 14 It shall be, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the rainbow shall be seen in the cloud; 15 and I will remember My covenant which is between Me and you and every living creature of all flesh; the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh.

The rainbow is not set in the clouds. It is a refraction of sun light from rain drops in the air. Are you telling me that there were no rainbows before the great flood? Rainbows can be explained and are not a sign from god. The way a rainbow is made is simple and have always been created after it rains. Even if you spray garden hose a certain way you get a rainbow. I don't think god used a garden hose to flood the earth, did he?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

skeptigirl

Nergel, "Prove me wrong and ill accept it gladly".

Pillar defined
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pillar

pil·lar  (plr)
n.
a. A slender, freestanding, vertical support; a column.
b. Such a structure or one similar to it used for decoration.
2. One who occupies a central or responsible position: a pillar of the state.
tr.v. pil·lared, pil·lar·ing, pil·lars
To support or decorate with pillars or a pillar.

Creation defined
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Creation

cre·a·tion  (kr-shn)
n.
a. The act of creating.
b. The fact or state of having been created.
2. The act of investing with a new office or title.
a. The world and all things in it.
b. All creatures or a class of creatures.
4. Creation The divine act by which, according to various religious and philosophical traditions, the world was brought into existence.
5. An original product of human invention or artistic imagination: the latest creation in the field of computer design.

The two words do not mean the same thing, ergo, you are proved wrong.

brainshmain

Oooh, oooh, I've got one!!!!

"Deuteronomy 33:17 (King James Version)

17 His glory is like the firstling of his bullock, and his horns are like the horns of <b>unicorns</b>: with them he shall push the people together to the ends of the earth: and they are the ten thousands of Ephraim, and they are the thousands of Manasseh.

Numbers 23:22

22 God brought them out of Egypt; he hath as it were the strength of an <b>unicorn.</b>

Psalm 22:21 (King James Version)

21 Save me from the lion's mouth: for thou hast heard me from the horns of the <b>unicorns.</b>

Psalm 29:6

6 He maketh them also to skip like a calf; Lebanon and Sirion like a young <b>unicorn.</b>

Psalm 92:10

10 But my horn shalt thou exalt like the horn of an <b>unicorn</b>: I shall be anointed with fresh oil.

Isaiah 34:7

7 And the <b>unicorns</b> shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness."

And unicorns totally exist, so the bible MUST be true!  Praiz da lawd!

jcm

Now I have seen everything, thanks brainshmain.

Here...more bible fun:

GE 1:3-5, 14-19 There was light ("night and day") before there was a sun. (Note: If there were no sun, there would be no night or day. Also, light from the newly created heavenly bodies seems to have reached the earth instantaneously though it now takes thousands or millions of years.)

GE 1:12, 16 Plants began to grow before there was sunlight.

GE 1:29 Every plant and tree which yield seed are given to us by God as good to eat. (Note: This would include poisonous plants such as hemlock, buckeye pod, nightshade, oleander.)

GE 3:14 The serpent eats dust for the rest of his life (by command of God).

GE 6:15 The size of Noah's Ark was such that there would be about one and a half cubic feet for each pair of the 2,000,000 to 5,000,000 species to be taken aboard.

GE 32:24-30 God takes part in a wrestling match. He wins by injuring Jacob's hip.

LE 14:49-53 The cure for leprosy involves incantations and the blood of a bird. --WTF!

GE 19:30-38 Lot's daughters have sexual intercourse with him while he is drunk and both become pregnant by their father. - oh those drunk saturday nights!

GE 4:17 Cain's wife would likely have been his sister. (Note, assuming that Cain was, say, 100 years older than his wife, his wife could possibly have been a niece rather than a sister.)

GE 38:9 Onan "spills his seed" on the ground rather than fulfill his obligation to his widowed sister-in-law to father a child by her. -- Lovely!

LE 15:16-19 (KJV) "And if any man's seed of copulation go out from him, then he shall wash all his flesh in water, and be unclean until the even. And every garment, and every skin, whereon is the seed of copulation, shall be washed with water, and be unclean until the even. The woman also with whom man shall lie with seed of copulation, they shall both bathe themselves in water, and be unclean until the even. And if a woman have an issue, and her issue in her flesh be blood, she shall be put apart seven days: and whosoever toucheth her shall be unclean ...." -nice
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Tom62

Not only unicorns exist according to the Bible, but giants also (who had sex with the daughters of men)

Genesis 6:4

There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

donkeyhoty

Tom62, and those children were the Nephilim, which is just a cool word to say.

brainshmain, I really like the unicorn's bipedal walking motion suggested by that cartoon.  Unicorns are 2 cool 2 use 4 legs.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

skeptigirl

Spilling seed upon the ground? So that's where the nonsense masturbation was bad came from. As if there isn't plenty of seed to go around.

Steve Reason

Yeah, but modern translations say the word for Unicorn was mistranslated. But wait, the Bible is infallible, thus the original translations would have been infallible. God would not allow his holy words to be mistranslated. But Unicorns are from mythology. But the bible is infallible, and it says they are real. But wait, newer translations say it means "wild ox". So I guess it's not infallible.

So those poor people that might have questioned the bible because of such mistakes, were burned or otherwise tortured because God wasn't so concerned about the accuracy of his holy word. You think god would have found a way around that. He could have easily made it clear, or even done it himself. So maybe the bible isn't directly from god since, you know, it's a collection of various writings put together by men.

I wonder how the same guys that were obviously guided by god to not include various writings in the bible that didn't seem to match up, could have made such a glaring mistake concerning non-existent creatures, not to mention the other glaring contradictions in the bible. Including stuff that they must have known was nuts like the Tower of Babel, for instance. I guess god took a day off or something. Or maybe the contradictions are in there because without them, there wouldn't be a holy bible.

It's simply not believable.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

oogabooga

Quote from: "Nergel"Science And The Bible
The Bible and Earth’s Free-float in Space
At a time when it was believed that the earth sat on a large animal or a giant (1500 B.C.), the Bible spoke of the earth’s free float in space: "He . . . hangs the earth upon nothing" (Job 26:7). Science didn’t discover that the earth hangs upon nothing until 1650.
Wrong. Babylonians knew that already, along with the fact that the Earth was a sphere, which was considered blasphemy for quite a while by those believing in the scientific accuracy of the Bible. It wasn't until much later that people had the guts to even suggest a heliocentric theory. Let's not forget that thousands were tortured and murdered for much less.

QuoteThe Bible and the Science of Oceanography
Matthew Maury (1806â€"1873) is considered the father of oceanography. He noticed the expression "paths of the sea" in Psalm 8:8 (written 2,800 years ago) and said, "If God said there are paths in the sea, I am going to find them." Maury then took God at His word and went looking for these paths, and we are indebted to his discovery of the warm and cold continental currents. His book on oceanography remains a basic text on the subject and is still used in universities.
One has nothing to do with the other. Maury found something new (actually something sea faring nations had known for centuries before, they just failed to write it down, so I suppose they don't count, since they didn't exactly like the Bible or the people thumping it) and interpreted it so it fit the scripture. That's not a novel tactics either.

QuoteThe Bible and Meteorological Laws
The Scriptures describe a "cycle" of air currents two thousand years before scientists discovered them: "The wind goes toward the south, and turns about unto the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits" (Ecclesiastes 1:6). We now know that air around the earth turns in huge circles, clockwise in one hemisphere and counter-clockwise in the other.
So in your opinion people were stupid before the Bible was written. They did lack knowledge we have today, but they didn't lack the basic observational skills. Just because someone actually wrote it, doesn't mean no single human being on this planet had noticed something like that before. This type of arguing will get you exactly nowhere.
If somebody says, ''I love you,'' to me, I feel as though I had a pistol pointed at my head. What can anybody reply under such conditions but that which the pistol-holder requires? ''I love you, too. '' Kurt Vonnegut Jr.