News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

For SteveS

Started by Kestrel, April 26, 2007, 06:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kestrel

You're the one I thought of when I came across the following.
Cheers!

"April 25, 2007 â€" There is the nagging question of whether life exists other than on Earth. The enduring mystery of who made us â€"  and why.

And then there is this: Why does the foam on a pint of lager quickly disappear but the head on a pint of Guinness linger?

Answers to questions 1 and 2 are still being sought, but the Great Beer Riddle, at least, may soon be solved.

Writing in the prestigious British science journal Nature, an elite scientific duo say they have devised an equation to describe beer froth."

Article/SOURCE
The thing that I call living is just being satisfied, with knowing I've got no one left to blame. - Gordon Lightfoot

SteveS

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Thanks, my man - now this is truly the quest of the ages!

Evolution?  Bah.
Theology?  Bah.

Beer?  Oh yeah  8)

Eh, simple mind, simple pleasure.  One thing is sure, though,

QuoteThe walls of these bubbles move as a result of surface tension â€" and the speed at which they move is related to the curvature of the bubbles. As a result of this movement, the bubbles merge and the structure "coarsens," meaning that the foam settles and eventually disappears.

Three-dimensional equations to calculate the movement have been made by Robert MacPherson, a mathematician at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey, and David Srolovitz, a physicist at Yeshiva University, New York.

I interact with beer in many ways; I brew it, consume it, ponder it, discuss it, but I have never, ever, written three-dimensional mathematical equations to describe it.  These people are hard core!

Thanks again Kestrel - this made me smile  :D

SteveS

Hehe, received the following link from a co-worker covering the same story.  I guess I've got a reputation for this sort of thing.....

Which is okay by me  :)