News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

What qualities do you respect in people?

Started by imrational, April 26, 2007, 02:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imrational

I'm working on a videoblog project  for myself... and I'm curious as to what qualities people respect in others, so:

What qualities do you respect in a person and WHY?

joeactor

Good question.

The very first one that popped into my "morning brain" is this:

They must follow their own moral guidelines.

For me, that's a hard and fast rule.  I can't fully respect someone who makes excuses for why their behavior doesn't match their beliefs or morals.

Off to irrigate my nostrils,
JoeActor

SteveS

Hi imrational.  I like to see people think - even if I don't agree with their conclusions, I like to see them really consider a topic/question.  Another aspect of this, of course, is think for themselves.  I hate to see people "tow the company line", so to speak.  Independent, intelligent thought moves me.  

One more: humanitarian respect, "live and let live".

I think I've seen a bunch of your videos - keep up the good work!

Tom62

I respect honest, creative, decent, realistic, spontaneous, humoristic, intelligent, couragous and imperfect people.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Will

I enjoy people who are comfortable in their own skin and have no problem letting their personality shine. Honesty is always paramount. Loving Austin Powers, but preferring the first movie is great. Being free of STDs. Not having a 'personal relationship' with Jesus is a plus.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

McQ

In women, I would have to say a waist to hip ratio of around 0.7(the waist is 70% the size of the hips).

Just being honest.

In men, familiarity with the Godfather movies and how to properly throw a good slider.

(edited to add that I admire a good slider thrown by a woman too...I struck out once to a high school softball fast-pitch pitcher. She totally kicked my ass).

(re-edited to add that I have something serious to say below)

OK, joking aside, I admire people who are true to themselves, even if I don't like their personalities. I also admire people who have figured out that success in life is whatever they define it as being, not what others define it as being, AND who live their lives that way.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

I respect those who are not afraid to say what is on their mind yet are at the same time able to show respect towards those with whom they are disagreeing.

donkeyhoty

A friend in need is a friend indeed
A friend with weed is better.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Scrybe

Are you looking specifically for atheists opinions?  Well, I agree with most of what has been said anyway.  Especially this:

Quote from: "SteveS"I like to see people think - even if I don't agree with their conclusions, I like to see them really consider a topic/question.  Another aspect of this, of course, is think for themselves.  I hate to see people "tow the company line", so to speak.  Independent, intelligent thought moves me.  

One more: humanitarian respect, "live and let live".

And I would add humor as a huuuuge plus.  

I disagree with this:

Quote from: "joeactor"They must follow their own moral guidelines.

For me, that's a hard and fast rule. I can't fully respect someone who makes excuses for why their behavior doesn't match their beliefs or morals.

The only reason I can't go for this idea is that if a person is to strive for betterment, they had better have ideals that are beyond their reach.  Otherwise they can simply stagnate and be content with being a turd.  "Being true to yourself" only works if your self is not a turd.  But if your basic disposition is less than admirable, (as mine is, and most other people I know) I think a better idea is to try to be better than you are.  And I think a necessary component of striving to be better is having a moral law that you can't achieve easily.  

The same process works in academic pursuits , career, relationships, etc.  

Another benefit to this approach to life is it helps to keep you humble, which I think may be one of my favorite attributes in a person.
"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

MommaSquid

Quote from: "imrational"What qualities do you respect in a person and WHY?

Honesty, love of family, respect for differences, sense of humor.  (The why should be self-explanatory.)

Naked4Jesus

Quote from: "imrational"I'm working on a videoblog project  for myself... and I'm curious as to what qualities people respect in others, so:

What qualities do you respect in a person and WHY?

Well hell, how about about the ability to just be reasonable.  None of us are perfect and I'm definately gonna screw up big time once in a while.  How about people that can cut other people some slack.  I hate self righteous perfectionalists that love to preach what the can't fulfull in their own lives.  It's just wrong.  If I screw up let me apologize and buy you a beer.  Do we really have to kill each other because you or I screwed up?  Come on, let it go...

joeactor

Quote from: "Scrybe"I disagree with this:
For me, that's a hard and fast rule. I can't fully respect someone who makes excuses for why their behavior doesn't match their beliefs or morals.
The only reason I can't go for this idea is that if a person is to strive for betterment, they had better have ideals that are beyond their reach.
Well, that's not exactly the message I was trying to convey.  Look closely at my above statement and you'll see I have a problem with excuses for violating your own moral code.

We're human - we make mistakes.  But at least be honest enough to step up and say "That was wrong".  Then make amends for what you've done.

I have a problem when people say one thing, do another, then tell you why it's ok in this particular situation.

Situational Ethics - gotta hate 'em,
JoeActor

joeactor

Quote from: "Naked4Jesus"Well hell, how about about the ability to just be reasonable.  None of us are perfect and I'm definately gonna screw up big time once in a while.  How about people that can cut other people some slack.  I hate self righteous perfectionalists that love to preach what the can't fulfull in their own lives.  It's just wrong.  If I screw up let me apologize and buy you a beer.  Do we really have to kill each other because you or I screwed up?  Come on, let it go...
Sweet... I like it!

Accepting responsibility for your actions, making amends, and forgiveness.

Sounds like a plan,
JoeActor

McQ

Quote from: "joeactor"
Quote from: "Scrybe"I disagree with this:
The only reason I can't go for this idea is that if a person is to strive for betterment, they had better have ideals that are beyond their reach.
Well, that's not exactly the message I was trying to convey.  Look closely at my above statement and you'll see I have a problem with excuses for violating your own moral code.

We're human - we make mistakes.  But at least be honest enough to step up and say "That was wrong".  Then make amends for what you've done.

I have a problem when people say one thing, do another, then tell you why it's ok in this particular situation.

Situational Ethics - gotta hate 'em,
JoeActor

Good message, Joe, and good take on qualities you admire and respect in people. But I have to ask...are you sure you're an actor? LOL! Saying one thing and doing another seems to be almost an inherent trait in all the actors I know. Lack of responsibility is another.

I don't know how you put up with it in you colleagues. ;-)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

joeactor

Quote from: "McQ"Good message, Joe, and good take on qualities you admire and respect in people. But I have to ask...are you sure you're an actor? LOL! Saying one thing and doing another seems to be almost an inherent trait in all the actors I know. Lack of responsibility is another.
I don't know how you put up with it in you colleagues. ;-)
Hee hee!

Well, actually, I only pretend to be an actor ;-)

Yep, there are more than 2 scoops of flakes in my profession...

But then again, I can't say the "average" person is any more responsible.  Plenty of excuses to go around.

Acting like I care,
JoeActor