News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What exactly is an Atheist.

Started by MWolfe1963, January 31, 2010, 01:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellainix

When I was young, my parents taught me to fear evil things like murderers, rapists, pedofiles, and believers.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Ellainix"When I was young, my parents taught me to fear evil things like murderers, rapists, pedophiles, and believers.

Awesome!  A signature worthy quote.   :bananacolor:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Typist

Quote from: "Ellainix"When I was young, my parents taught me to fear evil things like murderers, rapists, pedofiles, and believers.

Welcome to the Happy Atheist Forum.   Enjoy your hate.  

Your statement is the equivalent of....

QuoteWhen I was young, my parents taught me to fear evil things like murderers, rapists, pedofiles, and gays.

QuoteWhen I was young, my parents taught me to fear evil things like murderers, rapists, pedofiles, and blacks.

QuoteWhen I was young, my parents taught me to fear evil things like murderers, rapists, pedofiles, and Iranians.

And the great classic of course....

QuoteWhen I was young, my parents taught me to fear evil things like murderers, rapists, pedofiles, and Jews.

Sig Heil!!

elliebean

Quote from: "Ellainix"When I was young, my parents taught me to fear evil things like murderers, rapists, pedofiles, and believers.

If only more parents were so considerate of their children's future.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Typist

i_am_i

Call me J

Sapere aude

Typist

Ha, ha, ok J, you win.  :-)

I'd rather be a bone head than a nazi, so I accept your photo.

i_am_i

Quote from: "Typist"I'd rather be a bone head than a nazi

How do you know? What do you have against Nazis?
Call me J

Sapere aude

Typist

But, but, if I was a nazi, I'd be a bone head too!  Both, at the same time.   Oh my, it's all so confusing...

Can I be a Butthead instead?    Now THAT I understand!

Did you know I was the April 2008 centerfold for Bozo Magazine?

Ellainix

Not a joke, by the way.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

Lythande

I was never big on organized religion, churches made me cringe, but I believed in God in my own way.  The process for me was more like having an epiphany, where I suddenly realized how ludicrous the idea was.  Imagine, if humanity had not had religion ingrained for millennia, if someone today began spouting about a hand coming from the sky and molding clay, breathing life into it.  They would simply be laughed at until they were considered dangerous, then locked in an asylum somewhere.

The miracles of nature are enough for me.
Considering the punishment for promiscuity at the time, an immaculate birth was just a good cover story.

Typist

Quote from: "Ellainix"Not a joke, by the way.

You know, in reading over the thread, I see I am a bone head.

I assumed you were bragging about what your parents taught you, and trying to score "ain't that cool" points.  

But you didn't state your opinion.  You just stated a historical fact about your childhood.  It wasn't you applauding, but others.

Would you care to clarify how you feel about your parent's teaching now that you are no longer a child?

If I jumped to incorrect conclusions, then I suck, and apologize sincerely.  

If I got it right, then well, you know, see posts above etc...

Ellainix

Quote from: "Typist"You know, in reading over the thread, I see I am a bone head.
Nay, you were merely exposing us to your point of view.

My parents warned me of the bad in the world, and they also justified why.

Believers think they are saving my mortal soul. I believe they want 10% of my income and my voting ability to impose their power and rules upon society.

I'll never be convinced that Jesus came back from the dead in any holy or spiritually relevant manor, and I will never be convinced that anything was sacrificed if he did come back 3 days later.

Typist

QuoteNay, you were merely exposing us to your point of view.

Well, you know, so much of my bone head appears above my shirt, it's hard not to expose it.  See the photo above!  Thanks for understanding.

QuoteBelievers think they are saving my mortal soul. I believe they want 10% of my income and my voting ability to impose their power and rules upon society.

Some believers do think that, yes.   Some do not think that way.   The conversation might be more precise, more logical and objective, more fair, if we  were able to distinguish between the two.  

It's also true that some atheists are very interested in converting theists, saving their minds so to speak.   And some atheists don't share this interest in conversion.

karadan

Quote from: "Typist"
QuoteNay, you were merely exposing us to your point of view.

Well, you know, so much of my bone head appears above my shirt, it's hard not to expose it.  See the photo above!  Thanks for understanding.

QuoteBelievers think they are saving my mortal soul. I believe they want 10% of my income and my voting ability to impose their power and rules upon society.

Some believers do think that, yes.   Some do not think that way.   The conversation might be more precise, more logical and objective, more fair, if we  were able to distinguish between the two.  

It's also true that some atheists are very interested in converting theists, saving their minds so to speak.   And some atheists don't share this interest in conversion.

I usually like to steer clear of absolutes because there's always an exception. However, i do slip up from time-to-time and may accidentally make a blanket accusation where it isn't warranted. I think, before perceiving many of us as 'fundie atheists' it would be prudent to read back many of the posts from the regular members of this board to get a better picture of where we stand on such matters.

The moderators here are fair and balanced. I've seen them correct theists and atheists alike regarding such objective and fairness related issues.

Put it this way, i'm pretty sure no one here considers ALL religious people as bad.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.