News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Couple arrested for giving kids tattoos - WTFBBQ??

Started by pinkocommie, January 27, 2010, 03:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkocommie

http://www.ajc.com/news/couple-arrested-for-giving-265194.html

QuoteMarsh and her husband, Jacob Bartels, did the tattoos in their Summerville home. They cleaned up a tattoo machine someone gave them, and used guitar strings as a needle. Out of the seven children in their custody, only the youngest child did not get a tattoo.

"They weren't hurt by them," Marsh said. "We would never do anything to hurt them."

Marsh said the children, ages 10 to 17, wanted the small cross tattoos, and the couple did them after Thanksgiving. But when two of the children spent a weekend after Christmas with their biological mother, she reported it to DFACS and police.

My ex-husband is a Buddhist and I respect his beliefs and I encourage my son to talk to his Dad about those beliefs but I'll be honest, if my kid came home from his Dad's with a Buddhist tattoo - never mind a freaking DIY tat - I would be really pissed off.  The whole religious symbolism inked onto the skin of a child who very likely hasn't really had the freedom to make decisions regarding their non-parent influenced beliefs aside, I can't understand how a parent could justify doing this to their kid.  I have tattoos myself, I'm not anti body augmentation by any means.  However, this seems entirely and obviously unreasonable to me.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Zyva

I think the saddest part about it is that these two have legal custody of seven children.
I have nothing against tatoos, I think they're beautiful if done correctly, but they should only be done on adults in my opinion.

My oldest son came to me at 16 wanting a tatoo. I told him to draw up the design for the tatoo and when he turned 18 I'd pay for it. He drew up a great design, but it had his (then) girlfriends name as the main theme.
When he turned 18, I pulled out his design and asked him if he was ready to go get it done. He laughed and said that he was glad I'd made him wait.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "Zyva"I think the saddest part about it is that these two have legal custody of seven children.
I have nothing against tatoos, I think they're beautiful if done correctly, but they should only be done on adults in my opinion.

My oldest son came to me at 16 wanting a tatoo. I told him to draw up the design for the tatoo and when he turned 18 I'd pay for it. He drew up a great design, but it had his (then) girlfriends name as the main theme.
When he turned 18, I pulled out his design and asked him if he was ready to go get it done. He laughed and said that he was glad I'd made him wait.

I think most kids lack the ability to appreciate the permanence of tattoos to some extent if not entirely, which is why it's important for adults to be a voice of reason, not a damn facilitator of irresponsibility.  My son loves my tattoos, but even he at 6 years old understands that they're an adult choice and not one you make lightly.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

curiosityandthecat

Like the rest of you, I've got nothing against tattoos. Hell, if you go by how the military counts tattoos, I've got over 30. On the other hand, these people should be taken in for counseling and review of their parenting skills. Who thinks this is a good idea? Seriously? A ten-year-old getting a permanent tattoo, even if it is a small cross (or a small Donald Duck, for that matter), could be argued, I'm sure, to be child abuse.  :shake:
-Curio

Ellainix

Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.