Thought experiment that logically proves existance of your s

Started by tennenrishin, December 30, 2009, 03:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Quote from: NatsuTerran on January 20, 2012, 01:16:26 AM. . . I have tried and tried and still cannot fully grasp what the OP is trying to get at.

It seems you have grasped it well enough to give a reasonable critique of the thought experiment.  ;)  Of course, it's a philosophical thought experiment, so whether it is within the possibilities of reality isn't relevant, while if we were considering it as a scientific thought experiment, that criticism would be valid, I think. In any event, there are logical proofs for any number of things which are not possible in the real world. Even a perfect logical proof of the existence of the soul (I don't think that tennenrishin's is, by the way) would not necessarily be of any significant relevance.

I have been coming to the conclusion that philosophy can only tell us about people's opinions on reality, but should not be considered as a means to tell us anything about reality itself. On the other hand, it could be said that science can only tell us about our perceptions of reality, and that reality itself, while it seems to conform to our perceptions in great detail, is not necessarily (and perhaps can never be) completely accurately described by them. However, that is a philosophical observation.   :P  ::)  
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ali

Natsu - I agree, and that is what I was trying to get at when I said that they would be thinking other things than "This room is red" and "This room is blue." but Tennerishin seemed to think that was a point in his/her favor, and I decided that I was done mucking around in this ridiculous "experiement."  The thing that I can't grasp is why Ten thinks that "a soul" solves this "connundrum" whereas a "mind" would not (using "mind" to mean the functionings of a physical brain.)  But anyway, I think "junk philosophy" is a perfect way to put it.

ETA:  That's a lot of quotation marks.  Please feel free to picture me doing the bunny ear quote thing wildly during this rant.