News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Progressive Metal

Started by Ultima22689, October 14, 2009, 07:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultima22689

Anyone here like progressive metal or at least have an opinion of it? I've always liked metal but i've never liked it quite much as I do Progressive metal. The music just feels insanely epic, if you have no clue what i'm talking about head to pandora and check out bands like Dream Theater, Kamelot, symphony X and others like them.

MariaEvri

I thought those were power metal?
man I never was good with genres!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tom62

My dear young man, don't take it too hard. Their work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect  ;) .
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

SSY

Prefer real metal, sorry, but they just don't stack up to the greats.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Ultima22689

Real metal? Define real metal. This isn't nu metal or hair metal, this stuff is just as good as Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Metallica and any other old school metal band and they have been around just as long too.

SSY

Firstly, let us not say they have been around as long.

Secondly, goodness is subjective, I offered only my own opinion and markedly such, let us not try and actually pretend music can be objectively ascribed a goodness.

Thirdly, as I am sure you can imagine, defining a genre of music is very difficult, I will, for now say the style of music typified by Black Sabbath is what I would call "real metal"

:)
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Tom62

I have to agree with SSY. The music comes sounds more like the progressive rock of the 60's, 70's and 80's than like metal. I can imagine that someone, who loves Emerson Lake & Palmer, Yes, Jethro Tull, Genesis or even A-HA, also likes progressive metal. Heavy metal fans of bands like Black Sabbath or Motörhead, wouldn't find progressive metal much appealing to their tastebuds. Anyway, I lost completely track of all the rock music genres and -subgenres. I've basically given up, to label music as rock, symphonic rock, hard rock, classical rock, metal, heavy metal, death metal, progressive metal, doom metal, new wave metal, grunge, post-grunge or what ever.  Nowadays I place all music in three categories: 1. music that appeals to me; 2. music that I loathe and 3. music that sounds OK, but I wouldn't buy a record of it.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

templeboy

For me ATM, there are two types of music- music written by Tim or Neill Finn, and music not written by Tim or Neill Finn...
"The fool says in his heart: 'There is no God.' The Wise Man says it to the world."- Troy Witte