News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Shroud of Turin Reproduced

Started by Recusant, October 08, 2009, 06:49:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

OK, the carbon 14 dating of the "shroud" would seem to have put it into the category of hoax quite a while back, and in fact the Catholic Church admits that it "...was probably painted without fraudulent intent to aid the dramatic setting of the Easter sequence," most likely sometime in the first half of the 14th century. (See the full article in the Catholic Encyclopedia here.)
However, now an Italian scientist, Luigi Garlaschelli, has managed to make a version of it using a clever technique which sounds kind of similar to making a very crude photograph.  (Full article from Reuters here.)
Of course there are those who steadfastly maintain in the face of all this that it's the genuine cloth used to wrap Jesus' body.  :hmm:
Anyway, just thought I'd throw this latest development out there for your consideration.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

LoneMateria

I saw this article the other day.  Some people will believe in this regardless of what evidence was discovered.  They are the craziest amongst us and should have to face an insane asylum until they can be considered mentally fit for society.  People who believe these things have a landfill for a brain.  You can dump whatever you want into it and these people will accept it forever.  They need help.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

McQ

Yeah, this is nice, but if only it would make a difference. Even the Carbon 14 dating decades ago should have unnecessary, but you gotta give it to the faithful. They won't let facts ever stand in the way of a good fable.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Kylyssa

I'll have to find my instructions on how to make your own shroud of Turin.  Wow, I got the hate mail when I put that one up!

Whitney

Quote from: "Kylyssa"I'll have to find my instructions on how to make your own shroud of Turin.  Wow, I got the hate mail when I put that one up!

On the bright side, you have enough people reading your articles to get hate mail.