News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Refutation Book about Noah’s Ark?

Started by nogoodscallywag, September 10, 2009, 07:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nogoodscallywag

Does anyone know of any book out there which details the story of Noah’s Ark and develops a coherent science-based refutation of the story’s possibility?

I have seen tons of pro-story books, obviously by those peddling their belief, but no actual book refuting the story.  We could all list off several things I’m sure, but is there a concise book?

The reason I’ asking is that I am doing some research on the subject of the flood story, and how popular belief and scientific research affects what people think.

I am wondering if a book like this would be successful, especially if people would read it and if it would make any difference in how people think or give reversals on the their belief in the story.  For instance, many I know who don’t know much about science but would easily understand an explanation of the science behind the story’s “untrueness” may be helped to realize he falsity of the story.  I do realize that no matter what science proves, some will steadfastly hold onto their beliefs.

My goal is to recognize if a book which focuses on basic scientific facts which refute the possibility of the flood story which any layperson can read and whom has an open mind and is somewhat intelligent would do any good…

Or for that matter any book which focuses on a certain subject of the Abrahamic mythos.  Can one book like this make any difference?

My experience and research thus far have proven that such books do make a difference.  Broad books, written by authors such as Hitchens and Dawkins have indeed made differences to me and others, as well as have books which focused on certain subjects more narrowly.

What do you guys think?  I personally believe more literature is needed which is more narrow in its search for scientific knowledge which refutes ideas in the Abrahamic mythos.  My surveys have shown that some are more likely to read piece of work if it concerns matters such as the flood story, or the falsifiability of the ages of the people mentioned in Genesis, or even the truth of the crucifixion.

If more readers would pick up these sorts of works, it would certainly lead them in the direction of reading more in-depth works and peak interest.

iNow

Thom Phelps

I'm not aware of one book specifically devoted to refuting the flood myth. Seems like a simple enough argument that it wouldn't require much space.

Asimov's Guide to the Bible addresses the flood in Volume I, starting with Enoch (pg 36) and continuing through the use of the name, Ararat, and where it referred.

Gary Greenberg breaks down the various elements of the flood myth in his book, 101 Myths of the Bible, specifically, myths 32 through 44.

LoneMateria

I don't see why you need a scientific refutation of the story.  Just ask for evidence of their claim.  After all the burden of proof isn't on you, you are just rejecting the claim (right?).
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl