News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

What do atheists claim to know nothing about?

Started by Yrreg, August 13, 2009, 11:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "McQ"It is so difficult to understand ... litotes ...
Quote from: "PipeBox"... not wrong ...
:yay:

PipeBox

Quote from: "Heretical Rants"
. . . Crap, it's contagious.
If sin may be committed through inaction, God never stopped.

My soul, do not seek eternal life, but exhaust the realm of the possible.
-- Pindar

skurry

Quote from: "PipeBox"
. . . Crap, it's contagious.

What's contagious? Uh oh... i got it...

McQ

Quote from: "McQ"It is so difficult to understand a person who uses litotes all the time.  roflol

Do not stop not doing that! It's making me not less confused!  :D
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

curiosityandthecat

I know absolutely nothing about calculus and the political structure of Laos. Therefore, by using typical theistic extrapolation and generalization about atheists, none of you knows anything about calculus or the Laotian government, either.

[/thread]

lol
-Curio

AlP

"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Whitney

Quote from: "Yrreg"Can you be specific why you are being discriminated against in society, and wherefore you must unite for a common concerted effort to fight discrimination?

I think you should ask the people who are doing the discriminating....I would assume they do it because they are so insecure in their own views that they can't stand the idea of anyone having a belief that is essentially opposite of their own.  

The only way to fight discrimination is to group together and try to dispel falsely held negative stereotypes.

Yrreg

Do you suffer any discrimination in law so that for example you cannot be accepted in government positions if you are an atheist?

I like to know about the laws which explicitly disqualify atheists from government offices.

Can you tell me of social discrimination in any manner by other people against atheists, so that for example you cannot find employment if you are known to be an atheist.

Or not being greeted "good morning" because people know you to be atheists.

Do you have any injury from God to your person or loved ones, or damage to you property because you don't believe in God, which injury and damage you are blaming God for.

I like to hear of all such discriminations and injuries and damages on you for being atheists or non-believers in God.

Please be specific, for example what laws in what countries, concrete instances of social discriminations from other people, and factual cases of injury and/or damage from God.

I like to know about all your concrete grievances which you suffer for being atheists, and seek to unearth the reasons why people and God inflict upon you the kinds of words and deeds which are tantamount to grievances on your part.

Yrreg

skurry

yyregg.... you aren't holding a discussion, just posting questions and statements.

Heretical Rants

Quote from: "Yrreg"Do you have any injury from God to your person or loved ones, or damage to you property because you don't believe in God, which injury and damage you are blaming God for.

Please try to understand the term "atheist."

We do not blame God for anything.

Tanker

Quote from: "Yrreg"Do you have any injury from God to your person or loved ones, or damage to you property because you don't believe in God, which injury and damage you are blaming God for.
Yrreg

Are you angry at santa for that toy you didn't get when you were 7. The answer is no, and why, because you don't belive in Santa. Well we DON'T believe in god. You seem to be under the VERY mistaken impression that we say we are atheists because we are angry at god. If we were angery at a god that would require our belief first. Stop assuming we have some ulterior reason for sayin we are atheists. The ONLY way to be an Atheist is to have no belief in a god(s). Thats it.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.

Yrreg

Okay, so you have no grievances against God because you can't have any grievances against someone or something you don't believe to exist.

That is a matter for psychologists to examine, so for the present I will not press that point.

Now about discriminations from the law and discriminations from other people because you are atheists, do you have any concrete instances?

I am directing questions to you atheists about your worldview and other things because I like to hear what you have to say about the questions I ask you, so that I can understand you better.

Why would and should I want to understand you better?

Because we are fellow human beings living in the same earth, that is enough reason for me to want to know you in regard to your worldview, lifestyle, grievances in society, frustrations with the way things are in your life and in the world in general.

And this web forum is intended by the founding atheists to give people the facts about atheists, that they are not people to be on guard against, but they are just like everyone else who wants to have a good life and takes care to not be in the way of any other people.

Yrreg

Yrreg

And this web forum is intended by the founding atheists to give people the facts about atheists, that they are not people to be on guard against, but they are just like everyone else who wants to have a good life and takes care to not be in the way of any other people. -- Yrreg

I am sure that I read something like the above here in this Happy Atheist Forum, so I looked it up, and this is what I found:

QuoteMission Statement

At HAF we know that atheists are often happy ethical people just like anyone else. It is our goal to help dissolve negative stereotypes currently held towards atheists and facilitate productive dialogue with those of differing viewpoints.

"An Atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An Atheist knows that heaven is something for which we should work now - here on earth - for all men together to enjoy. An Atheist thinks that he can get no help through prayer but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue, and enjoy it. An Atheist thinks that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help to a life of fulfillment. Therefore, he seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist knows that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist knows that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death. He wants disease conquered, poverty vanquished, war eliminated. He wants man to understand and love man. He wants an ethical way of life. He knows that we cannot rely on a god nor channel action into prayer nor hope for an end to troubles in the hereafter. He knows that we are our brother's keeper and keepers of our lives; that we are responsible persons, that the job is here and the time is now." - Madalyn O'Hair

Welcome!

Link: portal.php

That is why I am asking questions, for the invitation extended above in the mission etc. statements of this web forum.

Yrreg

Tom62

Disclaimer. My replies to these questions don't represent the opinions or experiences of other atheists. After all, I was lucky to grow up in a more secular country than the USA.

Quote from: "Yrreg"Do you suffer any discrimination in law so that for example you cannot be accepted in government positions if you are an atheist?
I like to know about the laws which explicitly disqualify atheists from government offices.
As far as I know, no such laws exists in my country [any more].

Quote from: "Yrreg"Can you tell me of social discrimination in any manner by other people against atheists, so that for example you cannot find employment if you are known to be an atheist.
Most employers in my country are rational people and are more interested in whether you are capable to do your job than judging people on their [non] religions. It is however known that (evangelical )Christian schools will not employ atheists or homosexuals. Most people are however offended by that Christian attitude.

Quote from: "Yrreg"Or not being greeted "good morning" because people know you to be atheists.
Never had that experience. Perhaps, that is because most people that I meet are not evangelical Christians and I don't promote atheism in public.

Quote from: "Yrreg"Do you have any injury from God to your person or loved ones, or damage to you property because you don't believe in God, which injury and damage you are blaming God for..
This question makes no sense, because I don't believe in a God. It would be the same if I would ask you if you have any injury from Odin or Harry Potter.

Quote from: "Yrreg"I like to know about all your concrete grievances which you suffer for being atheists, and seek to unearth the reasons why people and God inflict upon you the kinds of words and deeds which are tantamount to grievances on your part.
I'm a happy atheist. I have no grievances nor am I suffering. God is for me nothing more than a fantasy figure, similar like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tanker

Regarding the Arkansas law about atheists in office (5 second of googleing BTW)

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2009/02/in_defense_of_atheists.aspx
http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/ar-constitution/arcart19/arcart19-1.htm

Discrimination against atheists (another 5 seconds of googling)
http://secularhumanism.org/library/fi/downey_24_4.htm
http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistactivism/p/PrejudiceBigots.htm
http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2007/02/discrimination-against-atheists.html
http://volokh.com/posts/1125342962.shtml
http://www.goddiscussion.com/4755/discrimination-against-americas-most-hated-group-atheists/comment-page-1/

I could go on with a resource like the internet it's not hard to find.

Heres a couple from this forum since you couldn't take the time to look

http://happyatheistforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3199&hilit=fired
http://happyatheistforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1692&p=20578&hilit=discrimination#p20578

From msnbc
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20922106/

I've Personally been physically attacked, been threated, been yelled and cursed at, had property destoyed, been called the most vile and disgusting names. When I was in the army and had an issue they sent me to the chaplain for help, knowing full well I was an atheist, which was the oposite of helpfull and discriminitory against my needs.

Oh and haveing no anger at imaginary friends because you don't belive in them is not an issue for pscycologists. Talking to yourself, hearing voices in your head, thinking yourself more important then you are, having invisable friends, and useing the above as justification for war, genocide, rape, murder, ect as religious people do is a need to go the the pscycologist.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.