News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Einstein's "God Letter"

Started by treat2, July 15, 2009, 04:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treat2

Below is a link to a fairly complete  translation of  Einstein's "God letter."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/ ... e.religion

This letter was "deep sixed" for many decades, and few Einstein "fans" are even aware of this letter having surfaced. You can google the title to find even more information about it.

I think this puts to bed the question of whether Einstein was an Pantheist, or an Atheist.

Sorry to dissapoint the Pantheists and Theists out there.

Sophus

I always thought Einstein was a Deist but he could have been a Pantheist (that was an idea of Spinoza as well).
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

nabisco421sm

The Idea Of God By Justin Cammack
In response to Albert Einstein's answer to his professors Question
“Did God create everything that exist?”

If evil is the absence God therefore the absence of faith love and humanity in the heart, then this must mean those who do not believe in God do not know how to love. It is said that man created the idea of evil and the the idea of cold and darkness. It is also said that God created man. I say how is that if man created the ideas of evil, darkness and cold how is it that man did not create the idea of God. The Bible and all other religious readings were created by men with power or by men who wanted power. I can  recall a story where high regarded men of all different faiths gathered at the face of a mountain that looked like a foot. These men all claimed the foot in the mountain was the foot of their religions God or Idol and in that religion it was so that the face of the mountain was therefore known as the foot of said God. I can also recall a story where captive slaves were preached the teachings of God. The preachers of these slaves interpreted ancient readings as so, “God wants you to be slaves and wants you to do as your master says.”  

We can all see how dangerous it can get when we believe what others interpret . When children are born they do not believe that in God or that God is their one and only savior. This is something they are taught. I believe that we should allow our children to make educated guesses and believe what they see fit. If we teach our children a one minded view, then that is how they will see the world. This is how we have people that are racist, people who are filled with hate, people that are extremist, people that are terrorist, and people who want to take freedom away from those who wish to choose to be themselves.

Ideas can all be created along with the ideas of a perfect world, hate, evil, love, cold, darkness and the same goes for the idea of God. We can all see how easy it is to create a religion. We have seen this recently with the creation of Scientology. I am no Scientologist but  I know that those who are not; do not know the views of Scientology but still badger and make fun of and some even of Christian faith hate Scientologist. When those children of Scientology grow up, all they will know is what they were taught and they will take it as fact. This is no different from believers in God. They were taught that God exist and that it is fact.

I assume everyone remembers the witch hunt, “people of evil” or people who believed in magic were considered evil because those who believed in God at that time interpreted their circumstance as evil. Those who were considered evil by the judge were murdered in the name of God because those murderers were taught that this was the right practice. So when I am asked does evil exist I say yes, the idea of evil exist. Therefore to someone evil does exist. The same can be said for God. So if you believe I am evil because I think this way and that I am crazy because I believe that just because someone created an idea and to someone that idea exist and to them that idea is fact; If you believe that I am going to the idea of hell which was created by a man with power in order to strike fear into the public's heart to maintain control. Then I say to you, take a good look at your views, because God was an idea created centuries ago by those who had or wanted power and books were written about God by those who had or wanted power and those books were interpreted by those who had or wanted power and those who believe in God now are products of those empowered men and are still controlled by a multi-century old philosophy to keep the public under control....Congratulations for continuing the teachings of slave owners, extremest and greed stricken still to this day empowered men.

treat2

Thanks!

There's nothing I'd rather do than inflame a Spammer.

treat2

Quote from: "treat2"Below is a link to a fairly complete  translation of  Einstein's "God letter."

This letter was "deep sixed" for many decades, and few Einstein "fans" are even aware of this letter having surfaced. You can google the title to find even more information about it.

I think this puts to bed the question of whether Einstein was an Pantheist, or an Atheist.

Sorry to dissapoint the Pantheists and Theists out there.

Here are some links to the above letter.
I'd have copied the stuff, but much of it is copyrighted material.

http://www.relativitybook.com/resources ... igion.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24668015/

FYI. I take this as Einstein's definitive views on god(s) and religion: written within a year before his death, well after he had any concerns about his career, i.e. the effect his true views (when he proclaimed himself a Pantheist, rather than an Atheist, would have effectively destroyed his career/future. That is to say, Spinoza was a convenient "out" for a closet Atheist that realized the importance of the public fixation upon his personal views on god and religion.)