News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Re: My Wife W/ Breast Cancer Fired for Being Atheist

Started by karadan, May 06, 2009, 08:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wigglez

I do not feel like retyping the entire thing since it was discussed in good length on another forum, so I will link it to that thread:

http://www.sickfucksunited.com/forums/s ... hp?t=19768

Long story short, I have talked about her being threatened to be fired for being an atheist for quite some time. A few people on my board assumed I left something out of the story. But I did not. I'm a pretty open and honest person. Hell, the internet has seen me in drag, seen my peener, seen me drunk failing a sobriety test on youtube, seen my wifes tits, seen my wifes lack of tit now that it's gone. So why would i start hiding details now?

I maintain a website I made for my wife that was to help with money for the time she missed from work due to her mastectomy. www.saveamanda.com and from that site there is a link to my blog where I detail my point of view through this battle with her breast cancer and because of a select few 'christian' people I rant and rave about anti religious view points, that blog is www.saveamanda.blogspot.com and her boss came across it and threatened to fire her if I did not remove the religious part of the entries. I complied.

Yesterday was her first day back at work since April 14th, she had a mastectomy on the 15th. A few hours into her shift he again brings up that she needs the Jesus in her life and she respecfully declined. He then told her 'Your attitude towards god is no longer welcome in my place of business. He owns the place, and she is the only employee there.

I am seeking legal representation just to see what our options are, but I am not hell bent on suing him or anything. I would just like to inconvenience  him as much as he has us.

Feel free to check out the sites. www.saveamanda.com and www.saveamanda.blogspot.com

What are your thoughts on this?

curiosityandthecat

My first thought: he's a prick. Take him down.
My second thought: only if Amanda is up for it.
My third thought: if she is, start posting this like crazy on Digg, Reddit, everywhere you can. I'll tweet it like crazy, probably get vjack and some others to pick it up as well. You'll get noticed. I promise.

Just give me the go ahead.
-Curio

Wigglez

Do what thou wilt. It's all part of gods plan!

I've posted everywhere I can think of thusfar. Most of the forums I go to are not very serious places to begin with so it's hard to get an honest opinion on anything. I can't lie though, I'm just as useless on those boards.

Like I said, I don't want or expect to get monetary satisfaction out of this. Just to know he is annoyed is good enough for me. We have enough problems. I lost my job last week, luckily I got a newer and even better one. Our oldest broke his arm last saturday, she gets fired, etc etc etc. Plus the whole you know being in your mid 20's and having cancer thing.

McQ

Brant, welcome back! I was wondering where you'd gone after posting back in February and March. This new development really sucks, and I'm sorry to learn of it.

My opinion is that you should pursue legal action, but it seems that you are not in favor of doing that, at least not to get money. But why not make that doctor's life suck and recoup the financial losses that his illegal firing of Amanda caused?

By the way, did you follow up with any of the information I posted in the other thread (your introductory thread)? If so, I hope it was helpful.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

rlrose328

That man should be hung up by his... um... fingers.  ;-)  He's a dick of the highest proportions.  

My first question is... if he owns the business, he can fire someone for whatever reasons he wishes, right?  Just because he disclosed those reasons doesn't mean he can be held liable for it?  I'm just asking, I have no idea.  I know when I worked for the State, we had VERY strict rules about what we could and couldn't discuss or reveal in the workplace... sexuality and religion being the two biggies, followed closely by politics.

But this is a private business owner.  

Doesn't make him any less of a dick, just don't know if you can sue him.

Have you contacted your local ACLU office yet?  They'd be VERY happy to get involved if they can.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Wigglez

As far as I know, there isn't much we can do legally from the attorneys I have spoken with. But I am at work and busy and don't have time to sit on the phone with them and ask all the questions I need to.

In Texas you can be fired at anytime without a reason, but this is clearly a civil rights issue.

curiosityandthecat

Sullying the guy's name will at least be a bit of comfort, right?
-Curio

rlrose328

I'm telling you... call the ACLU.  They'd LOVE to know about this.   :)
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Wigglez

VanReal

Quote from: "Wigglez"In Texas you can be fired at anytime without a reason, but this is clearly a civil rights issue.

That's true, we are an "at-will" state but that does not mean that EEOC, FLSA, discrimination and other federal employer laws aren't still imposed in this state.  And although the potential outcome and cost may not be worth it, you can sue anyone you want.  It's just not always feasible, and more handy to have other people do it on your behalf.  Keep us posted.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Whitney

If Amanda is up for it, make that guy's life miserable.  Have you contacted a news station with your story yet?  I'm sure they'd be more than happy to air the story of an atheist cancer patient who was fired just days after retuning to work.  Just don't go to Fox since they might try to twist it into you doing something wrong.  But the other stations have been fair to atheists (at least they have in Dallas).

Wigglez

Emailed it to just about every local news station I know of.

Whitney

Quote from: "Wigglez"Emailed it to just about every local news station I know of.

You might also want to contact any local atheist groups in your area; they may have some resources to help with this.

AlP

In CA, employment is at will. An employer can fire an employee for any reason they want  so long as there isn't a law against it. But, at least in CA, there is a law against firing people on the basis of their religious beliefs (or non-beliefs). I think it's called a "protected category" or something.
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

karadan

What a perfectly christian bastard that guy is. I hope he gets taken to the cleaners.

I hope it all pans out ok for you Wigglez.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.