News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Jesus Camp: Embraced by both sides?

Started by joeactor, September 14, 2006, 07:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

A new movie, Jesus Camp follows three children through the Kids in Ministry summer camp as they listen to and experience the doctrines of Christian evangelicalism.

The oddest thing for me, is that this movie would seem to shed a negative light on the camp, yet the woman running the camp (Becky Fischer) seems to see it as their "Big Moment".

Read the Interview with Becky Fischer about the movie, and see what you think.

Also for your reference is the  Wikipedia: Jesus Camp

I will probably go see the movie when it comes to my town, but the release schedule is also "unique".  They're opening in, shall we say "thumper towns" first instead of the usual NYC/LA premiers...

Thoughts?

MommaSquid

The whole thing makes me nauseous.

Quote from: "Becky Fischer"These kids are not interested in sitting on the sidelines of Christianity until they turn 21. They want to be a part of what God is doing in the earth NOW!

These children are merely imitating what they see the (stupid) adults doing.  Can they really understand what it means?  I only hope that one day, when these kids grow up, they will watch this film and feel embarrassed.

Big Mac

On there site is that crazy christian thing where that girl screams about devil and stuff. You guys find it disgusting but imagine growing up with that stuff like I did. I'm glad they have these camps, they are the being catalyst for Atheism. I love the line from the girl, "I dance from the Lord, not the Flesh." Like the little girl honestly understands what that means. Besides, what's wrong about dancing sexy (granted not for a 10 year old but as an adult)? What's wrong with enjoying your body in a healthy manner? You'rerational's film got me to thinking about that even more.

Quote from: "Ugly Bitch"Back in 2002 I was on a mission trip to South Africa when a children's minister I was visiting prophesied over me, " There's going to be a TV show that's going to be made that will be current all the time with what's happening with children around the world. TV channels are going to open up to miracles and to signs and wonders because nobody will deny it when it happens to children. I believe we're going to have kids on these TV shows that will speak about what the Lord is doing..."

Wow, imagine such a vague prophesy would come true....kind of like the bible!!! Guess that stuff does work when you are bullshitting. Pentecostals lie the most out of all Christians that I have dealt with. I know this because I grew up in that horrific nightmare.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Whitney

I watched the trailer from the movie's web site...creepy ("this means war").

I could go see the movie tonight but not sure if I want to...I'm already paranoid enough about the implications of evangelicals achieving their political goals.  Their us vs them mentality can only bring about bad outcomes and forces those who would prefer to find common ground to also adapt the same us vs them view.