News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Trolling 101

Started by curiosityandthecat, December 12, 2008, 03:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rizzyref

Quote from: "pinkocommie"
Quote from: "rizzyref"So much for "happy".

What exactly do you think "happy" means?

Well I know what it doesn't mean. It doesn't mean overly hostile for no particular reason.

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "rizzyref"Are you a 4chan user, and if so do you solely lurk or do you participate? And do you find this to conflict with your morals?

strike 1....

Wait... what? I'm merely asking a question.

Whitney

Apparently you don't know how to read....I suggest you go back and read curio and my responses and drop the 4chan crap.

rizzyref

Quote from: "Whitney"Apparently you don't know how to read....I suggest you go back and read curio and my responses and drop the 4chan crap.

You threatened to ban me because I was being "uncivil". 4chan has nothing to do with being "uncivil". But if you want me to drop the subject completely, I guess I have to. Really, you aren't being very clear at all.

Whitney

Quote from: "rizzyref"
Quote from: "Whitney"Apparently you don't know how to read....I suggest you go back and read curio and my responses and drop the 4chan crap.

You threatened to ban me because I was being "uncivil". 4chan has nothing to do with being "uncivil". But if you want me to drop the subject completely, I guess I have to. Really, you aren't being very clear at all.

that's because you are reading into what I said....I don't feel a need to explain it to you; maybe someone else will.

pinkocommie

I'd explain it, except I'm a meany mean face who is overly hostile for no particular reason.   :|
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

rizzyref

Quote from: "pinkocommie"I'd explain it, except I'm a meany mean face who is overly hostile for no particular reason.   :|

Lol, I wasn't referring specifically to you, just to the response I got in general. But please, do explain.

curiosityandthecat

It's okay, Whit. What he asked isn't inappropriate. I didn't really answer whether or not I was a 4chan lurker, just that the images and style of forum macro don't necessarily have to be obtained through 4chan.

rizzy, I do lurk 4chan at times but very, very rarely participate, and never on /b/. Mostly on /v/ or /hr/. When I do occasionally lurk /b/ it's because I'm interested in the dark underbelly of internet subculture, partially for my area of academic study. I never really think of 4chan (but let's face it, when someone says 4chan, they really mean /b/, which is a shame for all the other boards) and morals in tandem. I think of 4chan, morals and ethics, and the interesting things 4chan does to the relationship between morals and ethics. People will post and say things there that they would never, ever think of doing in person, mostly because of the anonymity. It'd really be an interesting research study on the nature of identity and anonymity to study /b/, I think. Is the majority of it in poor taste? Of course, but it offers a deeper look into how people actually feel. Still, the suggestion it seems you're making (that voluntarily exposing yourself to something of questionable morality somehow defines you as being with questionable morals) doesn't follow. If it did, everyone who watched a violent film would be considered a violent person.

Did I cover everything?
-Curio

rizzyref

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"It's okay, Whit. What he asked isn't inappropriate. I didn't really answer whether or not I was a 4chan lurker, just that the images and style of forum macro don't necessarily have to be obtained through 4chan.

rizzy, I do lurk 4chan at times but very, very rarely participate, and never on /b/. Mostly on /v/ or /hr/. When I do occasionally lurk /b/ it's because I'm interested in the dark underbelly of internet subculture, partially for my area of academic study. I never really think of 4chan (but let's face it, when someone says 4chan, they really mean /b/, which is a shame for all the other boards) and morals in tandem. I think of 4chan, morals and ethics, and the interesting things 4chan does to the relationship between morals and ethics. People will post and say things there that they would never, ever think of doing in person, mostly because of the anonymity. It'd really be an interesting research study on the nature of identity and anonymity to study /b/, I think. Is the majority of it in poor taste? Of course, but it offers a deeper look into how people actually feel. Still, the suggestion it seems you're making (that voluntarily exposing yourself to something of questionable morality somehow defines you as being with questionable morals) doesn't follow. If it did, everyone who watched a violent film would be considered a violent person.

Did I cover everything?

Yeah, you answered my question and then some! But you broke 1 & 2! Ah well. Yeah, last year in English 300 my professor had us study internet psychology. One of the items was called "disassociative anonymity." The particular section sounded like it was specifically talking about 4chan, and I even laughed and turned to my buddy, who had no idea what I was talking about. But interesting comparison, your movie analogy. I often listen to violent music, and yet I don't consider myself immoral. Valid point.

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "rizzyref"Yeah, you answered my question and then some! But you broke 1 & 2!

In all fairness, you brought it up. ;)
-Curio

wildfire_emissary

this is good stuff. i will stop feeding trolls from now on. thanks curio.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "wildfire_emissary"this is good stuff. i will stop feeding trolls from now on. thanks curio.
Feel free, but make it known it's what you're doing. ;)

Also, OP updated for anyone who wants to read it.
-Curio

RappingAgnostic

oh hai guise. wuts this trolling?
http://www.youtube.com/capothemc
http://www.soundclick.com/caporevolutionarymc
http://www.myspace.com/rappingagnostic

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings to

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "rizzyref"
Quote from: "pinkocommie"
Quote from: "rizzyref"So much for "happy".

What exactly do you think "happy" means?

Well I know what it doesn't mean. It doesn't mean overly hostile for no particular reason.

Is someone hostile?

Quote from: "Whitney"
Quote from: "rizzyref"Are you a 4chan user, and if so do you solely lurk or do you participate? And do you find this to conflict with your morals?

strike 1....

Wait... what? I'm merely asking a question.[/quote][/quote]

To quote one helluva song, "Grits ain't groceries, eggs ain't poultry, and Mona Lisa was a man."
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Big Mac

I love /b/. It helps me troll other trolls and doesn't afraid of anything.

/b/ is like the id of the internet. Everyone thinks these thoughts, they just repress them because they are afraid of the demons that lurk their inner thoughts. The anonymity of 4chan allows you to be yourself for once without fear of judgment or serious ramifications (as long as you don't post cp or death/terror threats).
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Ninteen45

Quote from: "curiosityandthecat"
Quote from: "rizzyref"Yeah, you answered my question and then some! But you broke 1 & 2!

In all fairness, you brought it up. ;)

Only applies to raids.

I'm back.
Now I can be re-gognizod!