News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Trolling 101

Started by curiosityandthecat, December 12, 2008, 03:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "skurry"As a newcomer, are there always this many trolls, or is this just a heavy week (or a light one)
It goes in waves: long droughts, followed by very, very fertile seasons.

QuoteCongrats curio on 2300 posts!  :beer:
-Curio

Typist

Quote from: "Kyuuketsuki"but what really gets me is the number of people who think that just because you disagree with them, particularly if you persist on a given line of debate because you don't think the points raised against yours is good enough, that you're a troll.

Sad but true.  

Imho, the word troll, like the word spam, has been reduced to near worthlessness.   Both words now seem to mean just about anything somebody doesn't like.    

When I hear the word troll, what usually comes to my mind is somebody who really wants to win an intellectual debate, but can't figure out how, so they change the subject to the poster they are debating.

rizzyref

Is OP an admin? I have no idea how to tell. If so, it's clear that you visit a certain imageboard quite often. Supposing this board as a whole is to promote awareness of morality in the atheist community, how do you reconcile your views with the "Internet Hate Machine"? I'm assuming that your answer will be something along the lines of "I browse that imageboard solely for entertainment, and the immorality seen on this imageboard is mostly trolling anyways."

If so, your lecture against trolling is hypocritical, don't you think? Because even if you solely lurk the Internet Hate Machine, you are a troll in some form. Or perhaps you differentiate your Anonymous identity from your true identity?

pinkocommie

Quote from: "rizzyref"Is OP an admin? I have no idea how to tell. If so, it's clear that you visit a certain imageboard quite often. Supposing this board as a whole is to promote awareness of morality in the atheist community, how do you reconcile your views with the "Internet Hate Machine"? I'm assuming that your answer will be something along the lines of "I browse that imageboard solely for entertainment, and the immorality seen on this imageboard is mostly trolling anyways."

If so, your lecture against trolling is hypocritical, don't you think? Because even if you solely lurk the Internet Hate Machine, you are a troll in some form. Or perhaps you differentiate your Anonymous identity from your true identity?

Wait, what?   :hmm:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

elliebean

Quote from: "rizzyref"....even if you solely lurk the Internet Hate Machine, you are a troll in some form.

What form would that be?
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

rizzyref

Quote from: "pinkocommie"
Quote from: "rizzyref"Is OP an admin? I have no idea how to tell. If so, it's clear that you visit a certain imageboard quite often. Supposing this board as a whole is to promote awareness of morality in the atheist community, how do you reconcile your views with the "Internet Hate Machine"? I'm assuming that your answer will be something along the lines of "I browse that imageboard solely for entertainment, and the immorality seen on this imageboard is mostly trolling anyways."

Wait, what?   :hmm:

If you don't get it, don't worry about it. It's chanspeak, coded for a reason.

Quote from: "elliebean"
Quote from: "rizzyref"....even if you solely lurk the Internet Hate Machine, you are a troll in some form.

What form would that be?

If someone is a huge MMA fan, but never actually fights, wouldn't it be safe to assume that said person has entertained the idea, possibly in daydreams, of participating in a fight? I would call that person a fighter in some form. What if they then went on a forum one day and posted that they thought MMA was inhumane and brutal? OP is doing just that. Is that not hypocritical?

And I would hope that if the OP is a mod or admin that he would not ban me on my obviously well-thought out response to his post. I would hope.

Ellainix

Quote from: "rizzyref"Is OP an admin? I have no idea how to tell. If so, it's clear that you visit a certain imageboard quite often.

No, it is not clear that OP visits a certain imageboard quite often. Quit trolling.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

pinkocommie

Oh, I'm well aware of 'chan speak', I just don't understand why someone who is obviously unaware of how a specific forum operates or even who the mods of a forum are would choose to make their first post a 'calling out' post.  Claiming curio is a troll/hypocrite because his OP contains pictures that, though they may have originated on 4chan, anyone can find via google image search, posted on just about every forum out there, etc makes absolutely no sense to me.  You're making assumptions as if you've been lurking the board long enough to be in a position to make them, yet you don't know how to differentiate between a mod and a member - it's confusing.

elliebean

Quote from: "rizzyref"If someone is a huge MMA fan, but never actually fights, wouldn't it be safe to assume that said person has entertained the idea, possibly in daydreams, of participating in a fight?

Only if you feel safe making incorrect assumptions.
QuoteI would call that person a fighter in some form.

Then get a grip on reality.
QuoteWhat if they then went on a forum one day and posted that they thought MMA was inhumane and brutal? OP is doing just that. Is that not hypocritical?

Your analogy fails. Setting aside the huge gap in severity required to call it hypocrisy, the OP does the equivalent of calling MMA a form of fighting and making suggestions in how to engage such a fighter when confronted by one. A lesson in self-defense, if anything.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

pinkocommie

This must be a pop quiz by curio to see if we were paying attention - a troll in the troll thread!  You clever monkey, you!

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "Ellainix"
Quote from: "rizzyref"Is OP an admin? I have no idea how to tell. If so, it's clear that you visit a certain imageboard quite often.

No, it is not clear that OP visits a certain imageboard quite often. Quit trolling.

Google's image search simply by looking up "message board troll". The fact that they may have originated on 4chan (though, even that would probably be a point of contention) means nothing. They are simply part of internet (pseudo-)popular culture.

Quote from: "rizzyref"If someone is a huge MMA fan, but never actually fights, wouldn't it be safe to assume that said person has entertained the idea, possibly in daydreams, of participating in a fight? I would call that person a fighter in some form. What if they then went on a forum one day and posted that they thought MMA was inhumane and brutal? OP is doing just that. Is that not hypocritical?

And I would hope that if the OP is a mod or admin that he would not ban me on my obviously well-thought out response to his post. I would hope.

I wouldn't ban you even if I had the power to do so. You've done nothing ban-worthy.  ;)

Quote from: "pinkocommie"This must be a pop quiz by curio to see if we were paying attention - a troll in the troll thread!  You clever monkey, you!
Benefit of the doubt! rizzy started off speaking the speak, so at least it's not copypasta. And quit making my arguments before I have time to make them!  :D
-Curio

Whitney

rizzyref, I am an admin (see, it says admin under my name, Curios doesn't say admin or mod...not that he wouldn't be good at it; we just don't need more mods right now) of this forum and I don't appreciate you coming here and throwing around unfounded insults at the membership.  If you continue to push this issue without supporting your claims I'll consider you to be purposely uncivil.

I think that you should familiarize yourself with the rules if you haven't already.  viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1522

rizzyref

Quote from: "Whitney"rizzyref, I am an admin (see, it says admin under my name, Curios doesn't say admin or mod...not that he wouldn't be good at it; we just don't need more mods right now) of this forum and I don't appreciate you coming here and throwing around unfounded insults at the membership.  If you continue to push this issue without supporting your claims I'll consider you to be purposely uncivil.

I think that you should familiarize yourself with the rules if you haven't already.  viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1522

I don't mean to be rude, I was pointing at a funny coincidence imo. Which part of the rules am I violating? So much for "happy".

To the rest of you, point taken, it was a weak analogy. And although when posting I realized it could come off as trolling, it really wasn't my intention.

And to curiosityandthecat, I assumed that you were a 4chan user because, although the image macros may be popular when it comes to internet culture, the origin of those macros is clearly 4chan. And I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that you were solely a "lurker" on 4chan, which we both know are the minority of users. I don't want to assume anything, so I'll ask you. Are you a 4chan user, and if so do you solely lurk or do you participate? And do you find this to conflict with your morals?

pinkocommie

Quote from: "rizzyref"So much for "happy".

What exactly do you think "happy" means?

Whitney

Quote from: "rizzyref"Are you a 4chan user, and if so do you solely lurk or do you participate? And do you find this to conflict with your morals?

strike 1....