News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

How the heck do I insert a gif?

Started by Sandra Craft, May 24, 2016, 06:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Please explain slowly, in small baby-like words.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Find the .gif ( just like you would any image)
Copy the url
Paste the url
Surround with image tags

To see what this looks like find a post with a working .gif and quote it.
Look how the post is structured.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Magdalena

^^^
:notsure:
I don't think that was explained slowly, or in small baby-like words.

1. Google "cat gif"
2. Choose one you like. ( I like the first one)
3. Click on the image, go to "view image"
4. The image will appear all by itself on a new window.
5. Copy the address at the top of the page: http://www.catgifpage.com/gifs/318.gif
Or, right click on image and select, "copy image address"
6. Paste that same address, here.
7. Select the address and click, "Insert Image" (That's right between the first smiley face  :), and the Bold key)

It will look something like this:
[img}  http://www.catgifpage.com/gifs/318.gif [/img}

Preview your image, and you will see a gorgeous cat, anxious to see what you post:  :grin:

I hope this helps.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Asmodean

I usually paste the URL, then mark it (double-clicking it on Windows should do the trick) then click the Insert Image-button, which surrounds it with tags.

...Slightly more convenient than typing [img][/img]
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

It's the same way you would insert a picture.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

I tried exactly that before but somehow it doesn't work -- this is all I get:

I also tried using an embed code I was given as is, and then fiddling with it but just got the same non-result:

I know I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what it is.

Sandy

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 24, 2016, 12:50:20 PM
I tried exactly that before but somehow it doesn't work -- this is all I get:

I also tried using an embed code I was given as is, and then fiddling with it but just got the same non-result:

I know I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what it is.
This is because you're not getting to the .gif URL but a link. When you can see the .gif right mouse button on it and and click on 'Copy image location'

That will get you this https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7qDSozG0KG6RmtBS/giphy.gif

And if you put image tags around it you'll get

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

All these these tips are all well and good, well no they're not really. Through a wish to be helpful they perpetuate an odious practice.

Surely the question "should you?" should be asked before hasty insertion leads to regret.

I ask you to ask yourself is this gif really worth subjecting other members to?
Is it original or amusing?
Isn't it really rather crap?
Right click how big is it?
Is the size/amuse ratio OK?
Don't make a decision if sozzled or addled, you know that.
Any way you shouldn't be rushed into a decision, wait a day and see if you still want to.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on May 24, 2016, 12:57:39 PM

This is because you're not getting to the .gif URL but a link. When you can see the .gif right mouse button on it and and click on 'Copy image location'

That's the bit I was missing!  Thanks!

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 24, 2016, 01:07:18 PM
All these these tips are all well and good, well no they're not really. Through a wish to be helpful they perpetuate an odious practice.

Surely the question "should you?" should be asked before hasty insertion leads to regret.

But of course!  I'm an American, we specialize in odious practices.

Sandy

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 24, 2016, 01:07:18 PM

Indeed, Albert.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken