News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

How do I use the quote feature?

Started by Whitney, March 05, 2009, 01:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Using the quotes feature helps to keep the forum neat and tidy, defines the difference between your own words and those of others, and is really simple to use.

The most simple way to use the quote feature is to hit the button labeled "quote" in the top right hand corner of the post (not the top of the page, you won't find one there...just in the box of the poster) you would like to include in your post as a quote.

But sometimes you want to just quote part of a post or maybe respond to multiple parts of a post...well, the following is a break down of how that would work:

Let's say I saw the following post and wanted to respond to parts of it:

We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Right now it is just sitting in someone's post.  to put that same text in my post as a quote I'd just have to add [quote] before the paragraph and [/quote] after the paragraph.  If would look like this:

[quote]
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.[/quote]

Now, lets say that I just want to quote part of the above paragraph.  I would do this:

[quote]We the people of the United States[/quote]

See...very simple.

If I followed the above procedures my quoted text would look like this when I posted the comment:

QuoteWe the people of the United States

I could keep on doing the same as above for various parts of the paragraph

Quoteestablish this Constitution for the United States of America.

To be able to respond to those parts on a one by one basis.

Just make sure to close (by typing [/ quote] as shown above) the quote tags before writing your own words.

That should be simple enough.  If you have questions ask them here.

Ihateyoumike

If I may be so bold as to add on to this information:

Once you have the quote tags in place, you may add the person's name whom you are quoting by adding it to the first quote tag. For example:
{quote="Whitney"} (replace {} brackets with the standard square [] brackets)
would add Whitney's name as the person who you are quoting.
So this: {quote="Whitney"}quote{/quote} (with square [] brackets) would look like this:
Quote from: "Whitney"quote

disclaimer: Whitney did not write the above quote.  ;)
Prayers that need no answer now, cause I'm tired of who I am
You were my greatest mistake, I fell in love with your sin
Your littlest sin.