News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Lee Smolin interview

Started by McQ, August 30, 2006, 11:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McQ

Interview in Wired on line with Lee Smolin regarding the troubles he sees with String Theory. Interesting.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.0 ... heory.html
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

gungfusteve

Basically, what I get from that interview is that Lee Smolin is upset because more people are interested in studying string theory than in twister theory, causal sets, spin foam models, loop quantum gravity, etc...is that correct?  It almost seems like he's accusing string theorists of making stuff up out of the blue when the reality of Calabi-Yau spaces and other integral aspects of the theory is that there are a great number of configurations which the geometry can take which was true before string theory was prevalent in modern physics.  

I got the idea from the article that he's just a whiny person.  I think I'll have to pick up his book next chance I get.  Anyone else have any thoughts on the article?
"Everything about me is real. Everything you see about me is real. If I shake my head, nothin's gonna fall out."
Ernie Chambers of Nebraska State Legislature