News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Rep. Harris Condemns Separation of Church, State

Started by Woody, August 26, 2006, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

Rep. Harris Condemns Separation of Church, State

Washington Post article

By Jim Stratton
Orlando Sentinel
Saturday, August 26, 2006; Page A09

ORLANDO, Aug. 25 -- Rep. Katherine Harris (R-Fla.) said this week that God did not intend for the United States to be a "nation of secular laws" and that the separation of church and state is a "lie we have been told" to keep religious people out of politics.

"If you're not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin," Harris told interviewers from the Florida Baptist Witness, the weekly journal of the Florida Baptist State Convention. She cited abortion and same-sex marriage as examples of that sin.

Harris, a candidate in the Sept. 5 Republican primary for U.S. Senate, said her religious beliefs "animate" everything she does, including her votes in Congress.

Witness editors interviewed candidates for office, asking them to describe their faith and their positions on certain issues.

Harris has always professed a deep Christian faith. But she has rarely expressed such a fervent evangelical perspective publicly.

Political and religious officials responded to her published remarks with outrage and dismay.

Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-Fla.) said she was "disgusted" by the comments "and deeply disappointed in Representative Harris personally."

Harris, Wasserman Schultz said, "clearly shows that she does not deserve to be a representative."

Ruby Brooks, a veteran Tampa Bay Republican activist, said Harris's remarks "were offensive to me as a Christian and a Republican."

"This notion that you've been chosen or anointed, it's offensive," Brooks said. "We hurt our cause with that more than we help it."

Harris told the journalists "we have to have the faithful in government" because that is God's will. Separating religion and politics is "so wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers," she said.

"And if we are the ones not actively involved in electing those godly men and women," then "we're going to have a nation of secular laws. That's not what our Founding Fathers intended, and that certainly isn't what God intended."

Harris campaign spokeswoman Jennifer Marks would not answer questions about the Harris interview. Instead, she released a two-sentence statement.

"Congresswoman Harris encourages Americans from all walks of life and faith to participate in our government," it stated. "She continues to be an unwavering advocate of religious rights and freedoms."

Squid

Wow, she's an idiot.

Some background on Rep. Harris:

QuoteBirth date: 04/05/1957
Birthplace: Key West, FL
Home City: Sarasota, FL
Religion: Presbyterian

Education:
MPA, International Trade and Negotiations, Harvard University, 1996
L'Abri International Fellowship, 1980
BA, History, Agnes Scott College, 1979
University of Madrid, 1978.

Professional Experience:
Marketing Executive, IBM
Vice President, Commercial Real Estate Firm.

I find it extremely discomforting to know that someone who holds an undergraduate degree in History can utter a phrase like:

QuoteGod did not intend for the United States to be a "nation of secular laws" and that the separation of church and state is a "lie we have been told" to keep religious people out of politics.

Liars like Thomas Jefferson, I suppose started this "conspiracy".

joeactor

I agree 157% with Rep. Katherine Harris.

We need to stop pussyfooting around this whole "God" issue and use his real name...

In Thor We Trust

One Nation Under Thor

Thor Bless America

(wait... what's all this about some "Jesus" dude?)
[schild=8 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=C0C0C0 shieldshadow=1]Oh!  You meant the *Christian* god![/schild]

Jassman

Joeactor, you're right.

I mean Jesus got nailed to a piece of wood.

Thor carries a hammer.

I think that is all that needs to be said.
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

fundie

Sad,  Very sad

And tragic

Big Mac

let me guess, onlyme, you are saying we are said for showing dislike for her?
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

joeactor

Quote from: "Jassman"Joeactor, you're right.

I mean Jesus got nailed to a piece of wood.

Thor carries a hammer.

I think that is all that needs to be said.

:lol:

If I'd been drinking milk, you'd owe me a new keyboard right now!

parrotpirate67

This deranged psycho really needs to be removed from office,hopefully the people of Florida wake up. So gla dthe lections went the way they did!

parrotpirate67

There's only one god and he's the sun god Ra! Ra! Ra!

Big Mac

People you're all way off. Ramen to his Holy Noodliness and his holy noodly appendage!

donkeyhoty

I'm sort of partial to Tlaloc, the Aztec fertility god.  First of all, any pronunciation that causes you to swallow your own tongue must be a kick-ass god.  Second, the human sacrifices made to this god were children, and their tears collected before sacrifice were to bring the rain.  Oh yeah, that's a hardcore God.
"Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."  - Pat Robertson

Big Mac

And who says we mexicans aren't violent people?