News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Fossil Fish Shows Complexity of Transition to Land

Started by SolInvictusMithras, October 16, 2008, 03:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolInvictusMithras

QuoteBy JOHN NOBLE WILFORD
Published: October 15, 2008

In a new study of a fossil fish that lived 375 million years ago, scientists are finding striking evidence of the intermediate steps by which some marine vertebrates evolved into animals that walked on land.

There was much more to the complex transition than fins evolving into sturdy limbs. The head and braincase were changing, a mobile neck was emerging and a bone associated with underwater feeding and gill respiration was diminishing in size, a beginning of the bone’s adaptation for an eventual role in hearing for land animals.

The anatomy of this early transformation in life from water to land had never before been observed with such clarity, paleontologists and biologists said Wednesday in announcing the research.

The scientists said in a report being published Thursday in the journal Nature that the research exposed delicate details of the creature’s head and neck, confirming and elaborating on its evolutionary position as “an important stage in the origin of terrestrial vertebrates.”

You can read the entire article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/16/science/16fossil.html?hp

Stoicheion

This is amazing. But it won't stop the fundies from clinging to everything they know.
[size=85]So why does there only have to be one correct philosophy?
I don't wanna go and follow you just to end up like one of them
And why are you always telling me what you want me to believe?
I'd like to think that I can go my own way and meet you in the end
Go my own way and meet you in the end
"Same Direction" - Hoobastank
[/size]

crocofish

Tiktaalik was the inspiration for my ID on this forum.  The term "crocofish" was used to describe Tiktaalik a couple years ago when it was first announced by the discoverers.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown