News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What led you to choose atheism?

Started by joeactor, August 19, 2006, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Hello all,

Agnostic Theist poster child here...

I'd like to start an open discussion on the topics of Agnostic vs. Gnostic (as knowledge), and Atheism vs. Theism (as beliefs).

While I do not side with those that say "atheism is a religion", I will state that in my opinion, it is a belief.  (ie. unsupported by evidence)

Here's my take on the 4 possible combinations (1st person):

AA) Agnostic Atheism: I cannot define or know god, and I believe there is no god
GA) Gnostic Atheism: I know there is no god, and I believe there is no god
AT) Agnostic Theism: I cannot define or know god, and I believe god exists
GT) Gnostic Theism: I know and define god, and I believe god exists

So, you can see I've split things up into knowledge and beliefs.  In the cases of GA and GT, it's a bit redundant, but there you have it.

From my perspective (AT), I'm most curious as to why others have arrived at the conclusions they currently hold.  Some of this seems to stem from a desire to have definite answers (ie. there IS or IS NOT a god).  Are humans really afraid to say "I don't know"?

Well, I've rambled on enough - chime in... I'd love to hear all of your opinions.

Lost in time, and lost in space, and meaning,
  JoeActor

joeactor

BTW, I did put all 4 choices on the poll, but for some ungodly reason Gnostic Theist didn't show up!

My apologies - Admin, can you fix it please?
 (10q)

Fourth Iteration

AA- Science plays far too much of a role in what I believe. But in the end, even with all that "evidence"that's all they are is beliefs...... bummer.....
"Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear..." - Ian Malcolm

Whitney

Quote from: "joeactor"BTW, I did put all 4 choices on the poll, but for some ungodly reason Gnostic Theist didn't show up!

My apologies - Admin, can you fix it please?
 (10q)

For some stupid reason, you have to add an extra option at the bottom of the poll to get all options to show  for instance if you want 4 options type in a 5th junk option that won't be showing.  I don't know why it does that, but that's how they designed this script.

Whitney

I'm a gnostic atheist towards specific types of gods but agnostic towards some sort of undefined not directly involved higher power.  So, I clicked on agnostic atheist in the poll.

Erinos

I suppose I'm also Agnostic Atheist. Of course I don't know that god doesn't exist, (hell, who does?) but I definitely deny his existance.
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

MySpace

joeactor

Quote from: "laetusatheos"I'm a gnostic atheist towards specific types of gods but agnostic towards some sort of undefined not directly involved higher power.  So, I clicked on agnostic atheist in the poll.

Hmmm... hadn't considered splitting it by gods.  Great thought.

and thanks much for fixing the poll.

Where's fundie?  Shouldn't there be at least one Gnostic Theist checked here?

Chime in evabuddy!

McQ

I checked GA.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

MommaSquid

I checked AA.  I cannot define or know god, and I believe there is no god.  If there is something out there that could be called god, it has nothing to do with the bible or religion.

Squid

I would fall into the agnostic atheist category.

fundie

Strictly speaking, and I know it is splitting hairs, I wouldn't place myself in any of the categories.  Gnostic theist?  ..... I don't like the word gnostic...it has too many close ties with the occult, I think, such as the 'gnostics' of old, and maybe the essenes.  Theist?....well, even a muslim would class himself as a theist.

I am basically a Christian.  No other title or label.  Except maybe a fundie.
I believe in the God of the bible.  I believe Jesus Christ died to save me.

And you.

joeactor

Quote from: "fundie"Strictly speaking, and I know it is splitting hairs, I wouldn't place myself in any of the categories.  Gnostic theist?  ..... I don't like the word gnostic...it has too many close ties with the occult, I think, such as the 'gnostics' of old, and maybe the essenes.  Theist?....well, even a muslim would class himself as a theist.

I am basically a Christian.  No other title or label.  Except maybe a fundie.
I believe in the God of the bible.  I believe Jesus Christ died to save me.

And you.

Well, thanks for believing in me!

As for Agnostic/Gnostic, I'm only using those terms to denote if you claim to have "no knowledge of" or "knowledge of" god.  Think of them only in linguistic terms.

By your statement, I would take it you fall in the Gnostic Theist category.  You believe in god (theist), and claim knowledge of such (gnostic).

You may want to check it, since they seem under-represented in the poll...

Just my 1/50th of a buck,
  JoeActor

Erinos

Quote from: "MommaSquid"I checked AA.  I cannot define or know god, and I believe there is no god.  If there is something out there that could be called god, it has nothing to do with the bible or religion.

Can I get an "A Men" to that?
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

MySpace

Fourth Iteration

Amen.......and Awomen.

Fourth Iteration

Quote from: "fundie"Theist?....well, even a muslim would class himself as a theist.

I like the way that EVEN[/i] muslims think they're theists.....