News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Satan may not be such a bad guy

Started by Whitney, August 19, 2006, 08:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Most of the members won't believe in Satan anyway, but I thought this article was interesting.

What the Devil? Prince of Darkness Is Misunderstood, Says UCLA Professor

I found it through a question on yahoo answers Satan: Evil or just misunderstood?  

I've heard many atheists comment on Satan not doing any evil in the Bible, so thought some of you may also find the article interesting.

Fourth Iteration

Neat. It pulls an interesting point of view on the whole affair. It's an exciting way to portray the story and even makes a lot of sense. It would never be accepted by the masses though. Change frightens... :shocked:
"Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear..." - Ian Malcolm

Big Mac

I haven't read the article but if you really look at it. In the old testament, he is used by God to tempt men into rejected or cursing him. A sort of Devil's Devil's Advocate trying to argue a case with men. I don't really see him as evil, maybe a little malicious but nothing too terrible. Then BAM! in the NT he is the ultimate evil (the first absolute of Christianity, the second being the ultimate Good, Jebus the Chris, and we all know Sith deal in absolutes). Hence I don't really put much stock in Hell and such.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Fourth Iteration

Al Pacino is probably my favorite Devil. Did I miss a very important story or was Lucifer thrust to the abyss of Hell overnight? It seems like some vital back story was lost when the authors juggled the text from one to another.
"Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear..." - Ian Malcolm

fundie

satan may not be such a bad guy.....

have you seen your brother lying dead in a coffin, lying impossibly still?
have you seen the wanton violence perpetrated by so called 'free-agents' who forsee no answering to God?

A direct spin-off from the first murder: CAIN and ABEL.

have you seen the person coming to get you?  He who knows nothing about divine retribution, because HE  is the be all and end all?

You are just the weak victim.  Survival of the fittest.  

You brought it upon yourself.

Mock me now, all you will, for all you're worth.  Come back to me in 5 years time.

...satan is not such a bad guy...

MommaSquid

(stepping over fundie/onlyme's slime trail)   :roll:

Interesting article.  A kinder, gentler Satan?  Does this mean there's air conditioning in hell now?  Fewer pitchforks?  More booze?  

:cheers:

Hurray!  See you in hell.

fundie

You won't see me in hell, mommasquid.

At least, I hope not!

Big Mac

Onlyme, you are such a lying, robbing, cheating, and generally annoyingly pompous dickhead who needs to have shot himself in the head. Your god, if he even exists (I highly doubt it) would cast you into hell just as quickly as any of us. How many people have we mugged, again?

Go fuck yourself, you little presumptious dick.

Squid

How long before we hear the words "Devil Darwin" uttered again?

Big Mac

Who is stronger, Judas or Peter.....you decide on News At 9!

fundie

will somebody please explain what is going on here?

who is / was Only Me, and why did he come in for such scathing criticism?

Big Mac

Oh you are so full of shit, you claim you have been reading this forum for weeks yet you can't see a member like onlyme who responded to everything just like you? Onlyme, you are the worst online actor on something that is nearly impossible to fuck up.

fundie

Quote from: "Big Mac"Oh you are so full of shit, you claim you have been reading this forum for weeks yet you can't see a member like onlyme who responded to everything just like you? Onlyme, you are the worst online actor on something that is nearly impossible to fuck up.

Big Mac:  I'm sure I've no idea what you are talking about.

You DO  seem to be something of a 'loose cannon' though, in my view.

joeactor

Quote from: "fundie"
Quote from: "Big Mac"Oh you are so full of shit, you claim you have been reading this forum for weeks yet you can't see a member like onlyme who responded to everything just like you? Onlyme, you are the worst online actor on something that is nearly impossible to fuck up.

I for one am willing to give Fundie the benefit of the doubt.  If he says he's not "onlyme", then so be it.

If he's lying (and he believes in an afterlife), he'll reap what he sows later (ie. hellfire, brimstone, etc).

If he's lying (and he doesn't believe in an afterlife), he'll reap what he sows now (ie. disdain, misery, etc).

If he's telling the truth, more power to him!

A mind so open, my brains sometimes fall out,
  JoeActor

McQ

Quote from: "joeactor"
Quote from: "fundie"

I for one am willing to give Fundie the benefit of the doubt.  If he says he's not "onlyme", then so be it.

If he's lying (and he believes in an afterlife), he'll reap what he sows later (ie. hellfire, brimstone, etc).

If he's lying (and he doesn't believe in an afterlife), he'll reap what he sows now (ie. disdain, misery, etc).

If he's telling the truth, more power to him!

A mind so open, my brains sometimes fall out,
  JoeActor

Unless I'm mistaken, he's never actually said that he's not onlyme.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette