News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Ello everyone!

Started by rosabeth, August 14, 2008, 04:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosabeth

Hello!
I just recently discovered this forum, and I'm quite pleased to find a place to discuss religion with rational people. I've been raised atheist in a very religions section of Utah (yes, that means the Mormons are everywhere). All through Elementary school and Jr. High I always had other kids trying to convert me, or to get me to go to church with them. I always said no because I just can't understand organized religion, and how people can follow and believe so blindly.

Both of my parents are atheists, although neither were raised atheist. My mother was raised by a baptist mother and an in-the-closet agnostic father, but decided to be atheist at 14. My father was raised by agnostic parents but was constantly forced into church(a Christian religion, but I'm not sure which) by his grandmother. He became an atheist around 15 years old. Both parents ended up working is SLC and got married, proceeded four years later by having me. Neither really likes Utah because of the overwhelming religion, but stay because or my education and the fact that outside of the religion, it really is a nice state.

I'm a female high school student in a city near Salt Lake City, a strong democrat, and there is nothing I love better than a good educated debate.

That was quite the introduction.  :blush:

Faithless

Welcome!  I'm fairly new myself, but the discussions here are interesting and congenial.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I do.
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." - Mark Twain

myleviathan

Hello, Rosabeth. Welcome. Have you received the mormon disaster kit yet? My brother's neighbors are Mormon, and they have been trying to convert him for a while now. They gave him this disaster survival kit with a nutrition bar, batteries, and other odds and ends. I think they gave it to him for Christmas or something. Don't they believe in some sort of apocalyptic disaster that will last only three days, or something? I don't know. Anyway, glad to have you.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Whitney

Hi roseabeth, welcome to the forum.  :D

rlrose328

Hi!  Welcome!  I'm surrounded by a lot of Mormons here in Oregon... so far, they're mostly fine with my beliefs.  THey don't judge nearly as much as the fundies or evangelicals.  

Glad you found us... have a great time here!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, rosabeth...and thanks for the great introduction.