News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

evolutionary "leftovers" on humans

Started by MariaEvri, July 14, 2008, 09:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shedaytrips

Quote from: "rlrose328"
Quote from: "shedaytrips"How about your spleen.

The spleen makes insulin which is instrumental in removing glucose from the blood stream.  If the glucose isn't removed (and no other organ does that job), you are at risk of developing neuropathy, blindness, and other complications.  No insulin = diabetes.

So... I don't think the spleen is either a leftover or redundant.  Unless my diabetes education these past 20 years has been deficient, there is no other organ that makes insulin... if there were, I wouldn't have neuropathy in my feet (one foot is slightly numb and the other is constantly tingly).

Well that is all good to know. I really had no idea that the spleen produces insulin.

Jolly Sapper

Huh.. Learn something new every day.. I thought it was the just pancreas that made insulin.

McQ

Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!"  ;)
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

rlrose328

I feel like such an idiot!  I went to bed right after I posted the insulin/spleen thing and I awoke an hour later out of a dead sleep, singing "Pancreas" (Weird Al song), and I KNEW I'd really screwed the pooch right here, in front of everyone.   :brick:
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

McQ

Quote from: "rlrose328"I feel like such an idiot!  I went to bed right after I posted the insulin/spleen thing and I awoke an hour later out of a dead sleep, singing "Pancreas" (Weird Al song), and I KNEW I'd really screwed the pooch right here, in front of everyone.   :brick:

Ahhhh, but you have a perfect excuse...you can blame it on low blood sugar!  :D

"...couldn't...think...straight........
.......need....a...COKE!"

Party on!
--Penn Jillette

shedaytrips

Loffler

Quote from: "McQ"Calling Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!"  ;)

My point is the body is not so perfectly designed that every organ has a solitary purpose than no other organ can do. If the human body were a company, it would need an efficiency consultant stat.

McQ

Quote from: "Loffler"

My point is the body is not so perfectly designed that every organ has a solitary purpose than no other organ can do. If the human body were a company, it would need an efficiency consultant stat.

Can't argue with that, for sure. That's why, when I discuss with anti-evolutionists (rarely these days, because it's just too painful) the human body as a "designed" object, I point out that the designer should be slapped for so many obvious oversights.

I am disappointed, however, that no one caught on to the first line of my post.  :(
--Penn Jillette

myleviathan

Quote from: "McQ"I also would not classify the spleen as redundant

Speaking of redundancy, did you know that a large portion of people (16% according to the article) have accessory spleens? They're small, but they're there! Check out this article from the American Journal of Roentgenology: http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/content/full/183/6/1653

Weird, huh?
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Loffler

Quote from: "McQ"
Quote from: "Loffler"

Can't argue with that, for sure. That's why, when I discuss with anti-evolutionists (rarely these days, because it's just too painful) the human body as a "designed" object, I point out that the designer should be slapped for so many obvious oversights.

I am disappointed, however, that no one caught on to the first line of my post.  :(
That's too obscure, you knucklehead!

McQ

Quote from: "Loffler"That's too obscure, you knucklehead!

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.  :D
--Penn Jillette

myleviathan

I just came across a good evolutionary leftover: "Piloerection" - or goosebumps. It's the reaction we get when we're cold or scared. In humans it creates no significant warming / intimidation effect. However in animals with lots of hair, piloerection creates an extra layer of insulation for warmth. Or it can be used to potentially scare off a predator.

But it doesn't work so well on a naked ape.  :D
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "myleviathan"I just came across a good evolutionary leftover: "Piloerection" - or goosebumps. It's the reaction we get when we're cold or scared. In humans it creates no significant warming / intimidation effect. However in animals with lots of hair, piloerection creates an extra layer of insulation for warmth. Or it can be used to potentially scare off a predator.

But it doesn't work so well on a naked ape.  ;) , I suppose it's true. However, for those of us with decent amounts of body hair (I don't mean Robin Williams amounts... that's just ridiculous) it does successfully complete its objective of trapping a layer of (relatively) warm air next to the skin. Although, in retrospect, I suppose your point regarding its significance is the important thing. So, this post was pointless, really.

Screw it. I'm hitting submit, anyway.  :P
-Curio

myleviathan

It's all good. It's just not as useful as it was our ancestors. It plays a very minor role in heat production in humans (next to nothing when compared to simple shivering). But what about when you're scared? There it plays no useful role like it would an animal with more hair (like a bristling dog sending a warning).