News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

A little maths help please

Started by weedoch, July 11, 2008, 11:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Promethium147

OH DARN IT, so hard to walk away, jcm...

Of course, Infinity is not a number.

Divide Infinity by any arbitrarily large number, and you get an arbitrarily large number of Infinities.

Infinity is not a Number - in fact, it is not a Thing.   :borg:

jcm

Quote from: "Promethium147"OH DARN IT, so hard to walk away, jcm...

Of course, Infinity is not a number.

Divide Infinity by any arbitrarily large number, and you get an arbitrarily large number of Infinities.

Infinity is not a Number - in fact, it is not a Thing.   :borg:

oh well, i thought it was cool
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -cs

Perillux

Quotetake a piece of string and cut it once. now you have two strings

cut again and you get three.

do this an infinite number of times and you get a number more than infinity. :)
However, if the function was reversed x / x^(2) then in that case the answer to (infinity)/(infinity) is zero, because in this new case the bottom increases faster than the top.

I'm sorry if that's confusing.  It's something you learn in calculus.  Probably more so in calculus 2.
"The boldness of asking deep questions may require unforeseen flexibility if we are to accept the answers."
--The Elegant Universe, Brian Greene

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "Perillux"ANY number even 10^(5 billion)  divided by infinity equals zero.

Are you sure it would 0 (zero) and not "undefined", kinda like dividing a number by zero (since zero is a place holder and not an actual number) is undefined?

Perillux

Yes you are correct Jolly, thank you for pointing that out.

Sorry, I should have worded it like this ("the limit of the fraction is bla bla bla...")  The actual value of the fraction is undefined like you said.

However, in this situation (at least the way I was using it) I'm actually treating infinity as a limit.  so the limit as x goes to infinity of (any constant) / x  is equal to zero.  But without treating it as a limit, then ya it would be undefined.
This is because when calculating a limit you never get to the exact value.  Your just basically looking at what it appears to approach.  So if you keep dividing the constant by an increasing number you will find the answer gets smaller and smaller, and it "approaches" zero.  If the increasing number goes on forever(infinite) then we can say that the limit is zero.

Saying it's undefined doesn't help anyone to visualize what's happening to the graph of the function because it can have any value (undefined).  But using limits allow you to see the overall trend of the graph.
"The boldness of asking deep questions may require unforeseen flexibility if we are to accept the answers."
--The Elegant Universe, Brian Greene