News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Is reality beyond human understanding and if it is what should we do about it?

Started by Tank, May 09, 2018, 09:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Are humans, even the brightest of us, ever truly going to understand reality? Human curiosity is effectively infinite, we can always ask why something exists or how it happens. But is our intellect and ability to understand finite? If our ability to understand reality is finite should we continue to consume resources to find out more about reality or should we expend our limited resources ensuring our survival and that of our planet? Should we take a break from discovery for a while and put our house in order?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Reality as experienced ir reality in some absolute way?

Egg sucking lessons - just thinking out loud.

We each experience a different world, shaped in our minds by our unique genetics and experience. We each have unique valye systems, though we gather in groups with those whose valuescapproxinate ours closely enough to orevent conflict. Mostly - any truly thinking person who has been to a party political  meeting might wobder at that.

That independant view goes for animals as well, though they have the added problem if ibstinct and an inability to seriously consider their actions. The fox may kill every chicken in the henhouse simpky because they are there. That it cannot, as in the wild, cache the surplus kills for another day does not enter its mind.

A bit like the fox the selfish over-use resources for personal, often unthinking, reasons just because they are there, available. (I am also guilty of this.) If some clothes shops were forced to run videos of the working and living conditions in Asia, the sources if their stock, in their shops their sales would plummet. That many of those suffering such conditions ask that their work not be boycotted - because there are no alternative choices of work and income for them - just makes it worse.

Greed is the driving force for many problems, pushing the sales of problem causing products, making a comparatively few rich and the wider world poorer. Politics are much the same. But that is an ancient problem that will probably never go away even if we reduce ourselves, by our own actions, back to a Stone Age situation.

We are polluting our planet through our desires for comfort and nice things. We are supposed to be rationale beings, but are we really? The true reality will just carry on without us if it has to, the tiny blip we make in its structure will be unnoticed.

[Not a drop of alcohol was consumed in the making if this reply.]
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

Quote from: Dave on May 09, 2018, 10:50:46 AM
Reality as experienced ir reality in some absolute way?

The repeatable and demonstrable realities of the physical universe.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

Depends on what you mean by reality. Even if humanity gets a very accurate idea of reality, one person will never understand all of human understanding, and what understanding there is will still be a bit off from reality.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2018, 09:52:40 AM
Are humans, even the brightest of us, ever truly going to understand reality?

No
That is if reality means everything.

Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2018, 09:52:40 AMBut is our intellect and ability to understand finite?

Ye

Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2018, 09:52:40 AMIf our ability to understand reality is finite should we continue to consume resources to find out more about reality or should we expend our limited resources ensuring our survival and that of our planet? Should we take a break from discovery for a while and put our house in order?

OK
I have to switch to main computer, adjust headphones and choose some music.

Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2018, 09:52:40 AMBut is our intellect and ability to understand finite? If our ability to understand reality is finite should we continue to consume resources to find out more about reality

Yes consume till you're full up or cut off.

Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2018, 09:52:40 AMShould we take a break from discovery for a while and put our house in order?

The discovery could be about putting the house in order.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 09, 2018, 03:50:25 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 09, 2018, 09:52:40 AMShould we take a break from discovery for a while and put our house in order?

The discovery could be about putting the house in order.

It is as you imply quite possibly a false dichotomy-- "Learn more" on one hand and "put house in order" on the other, when in reality one may be at least a partial means to the other. Let us not forget that historically, those who've believed that they have the optimal plan for "putting the house in order" do not have a stellar record of achievement. Rather the contrary (see Final Solution and Dictatorship of the Proletariat).
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Arturo

To be honest I still see the same things being said by scientists that have been said by religions thousands of years ago. Maybe the scientist that I am seeing are actually shills.

EDIT:To be honest I still see the same things being said by scientists that have been said by religions and philosophers thousands of years ago. Maybe the scientist that I am seeing are actually shills.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Recusant on May 09, 2018, 09:33:58 PMLet us not forget that historically, those who've believed that they have the optimal plan for "putting the house in order" do not have a stellar record of achievement. Rather the contrary (see Final Solution and Dictatorship of the Proletariat).

the anti slavery movement
the suffragete movement
the civil rights movement
fucket I can type anythign
and not geta red squiggle.
Musta bin a free education movement
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 10, 2018, 03:15:11 PM
Quote from: Recusant on May 09, 2018, 09:33:58 PMLet us not forget that historically, those who've believed that they have the optimal plan for "putting the house in order" do not have a stellar record of achievement. Rather the contrary (see Final Solution and Dictatorship of the Proletariat).

the suffragete movement

I would contend that none of those were movements to "put the house in order." More along the lines of remodelling the front room, or repainting the exterior. Fixes for longstanding issues instead of comprehensive restructuring; their ambitions were never so sweeping as those who believe they see the way to a new order.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Arturo

Quote from: Recusant on May 10, 2018, 10:21:08 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 10, 2018, 03:15:11 PM

the suffragete movement

I would contend that none of those were movements to "put the house in order." More along the lines of remodelling the front room, or repainting the exterior. Fixes for longstanding issues instead of comprehensive restructuring; their ambitions were never so sweeping as those who believe they see the way to a new order.

Unless you were Malcom X or the Black Panthers maybe...But I say part of that is necessary while a MLK figure is as well to have a successful movement. I base that on the idea of psychological conditioning and that society has to learn new ways to do things if something like a civil rights movement has to be achieved.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱