News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

VR Haptic Feedback Glove

Started by joeactor, March 04, 2018, 12:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Here's a prototype Haptic Feedback Glove for VR... Very cool. Not sure what the final market version will look like,
though.

Dave

Interesting, Joe.

Not sure that they will ever get rid of the "bulk", it takes energy and mechanics to create pressure just to simulate touch, let alone effective grip, and the bulk is all actuators connected to powers sources and processors.

Looking at that system they have tried to simulate anatomy, the "muscles" are remoted and "tendons" sense the finger movement/pressure and supply feedback. I have seen systems that use actual wire cables as tendons and others that use hydraulic or pneumatic pressure. Plus pressure sensitive fabrics. Last bit is the cleverest and hardest, how to simulate the actual pressure on the skin so that you sense that you are "touching" something. Definition of the pressure of the touch plus the sense shape, texture and hardness of the virtual object gets even more dificult. Not sure how many pressure sensors per square inch skin has but the more fine the resolution you go for the more actuators per square inch you need, thus the more bulk and energy.

This concept goes back at least a couple of decades.

It's just another indicator of the incredible abilities of biological systems, nature can do this so effectively and efficiently, even in organisms far, far smaller than humans.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Since I am awake due to possible ticker trouble (shortness of breath, wheezing, need to sit up rather than lie down - all indicative of water retention, I have taken a diuretic and been for three pess in the last hour - feeling more comfortable!) I had a bit of a think.

This is my hand with what I think the coarsest stimulator system pattern would need to give anything like practical real-feel, and that wearing thick gloves! On the back of the hand would be the sensors that tell the system how much the fingers are bent, so it can represent that in the VR. Then it has to know the attitude of the hand/wrist and where it is in all three axis of physical and VR space.

Finally it has to process all that and feed it back to the skin's pressure sensors and, ideally, provide a sense of size, shape and hardness. Some of that could be done via small hydraulic or pneumatic bladders, though "hardness" is less easy to emulate I would guess. A clever use of bladders, with internal contacts (making when the bladder is fully flattened) for "hard grip" sensing, might also sense pressure of hand grip for remote handling systems using VR

joeactor

Thanks, Dave... Good info. You've been following this for a while, it seems.

Hope your ticker is doing well and you get some rest today.

hermes2015

One step closer to the feelies Aldous Huxley predicted in Brave New World.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 04, 2018, 05:44:43 PM

Looking forward to it then, Hermes?

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on March 04, 2018, 05:46:23 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 04, 2018, 05:44:43 PM

Looking forward to it then, Hermes?

Yes, possibly, one day when the real world is no longer as accessible as it fortunately still is.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Brave New World sounds like an interesting book. I should read it.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 04, 2018, 11:50:22 PM

Yes, I think you will like it. As a boy I read ALL of Huxley's books. I especially liked the early novels; I think they had a big influence on my outlook on life. A technique I used was to follow up on topics and people he mentioned in his books. No internet then, but I loved my local library.

His last book, Island, was also very interesting, in that it built on Brave New World.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 05, 2018, 03:25:18 AM

Yes, I think you will like it. As a boy I read ALL of Huxley's books. I especially liked the early novels; I think they had a big influence on my outlook on life. A technique I used was to follow up on topics and people he mentioned in his books. No internet then, but I loved my local library.

His last book, Island, was also very interesting, in that it built on Brave New World.

I loved 1984, and I'm told it's more or less similar. I had never heard about 'Island' before, thanks! :thumbsup:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 05, 2018, 04:20:29 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on March 05, 2018, 03:25:18 AM

I loved 1984, and I'm told it's more or less similar. I had never heard about 'Island' before, thanks! :thumbsup:

Compared to Brave New World, Island is a much gentler, almost idyllic book. I think Gauguin's paintings would illustrate it beautifully.
― Charles Eames