News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Signal from the earliest known stars detected...

Started by joeactor, March 01, 2018, 12:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

... with an antenna about the size of a table!

Quote"This is the first real signal that stars are starting to form, and starting to affect the medium around them," Alan Rogers, a scientist at MIT's Haystack Observatory, said in a statement. "What's happening in this period is that some of the radiation from the very first stars is starting to allow hydrogen to be seen. It's causing hydrogen to start absorbing the background radiation, so you start seeing it in silhouette, at particular radio frequencies."

Full article:
https://www.cnet.com/news/astronomers-see-dark-matter-stars-signal-hydrogen-big-bang/

Recusant

The potential that more will be learned about dark matter from this sort of observation is certainly intriguing. Thanks for posting that, joeactor:thumbsup:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Yes, very interesting.

And though I "knew" it that idea of hydrogen being "seen in silhouette" against specific background electromagnetic radiation once again starts the wonder of "vision" in my mind - that we can see similar radiation ourselves.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

I've been listening to the audio book version of "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson.

He briefly touched on both dark matter and dark energy.

Sounds like that's the new frontier.

There was mention of dark energy perhaps being a force exerted on our universe from outside. I find that particularly intriguing... but can't see how that would be verified.

Recusant

Aaron Parsons, an astrophysicist and professor of astronomy at UC Berkeley, thinks it's possible that the observations are due to "noise" created by the instrument used to make the observations. The thread linked below includes links to interviews he's done on this topic.

Twitter thread on Thread reader

QuoteMy concern is that the spectral feature in question may be systematic imprinted by their instrument.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

joeactor

Quote from: Recusant on March 01, 2018, 10:35:33 PM
Aaron Parsons, an astrophysicist and professor of astronomy at UC Berkeley, thinks it's possible that the observations are due to "noise" created by the instrument used to make the observations. The thread linked below includes links to interviews he's done on this topic.

QuoteMy concern is that the spectral feature in question may be systematic imprinted by their instrument.

... time to duplicate the results, I guess.

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on March 01, 2018, 10:35:33 PM

I remember the story of when they had to prove that the background radiation noise caused by interstellar hydrogen was not due to pigeon shit.

http://www.lindau-nobel.org/pigeon-waste-cosmic-melodies-and-noise-in-scientific-communication/

Correction, I remembered it as noise from "interstellar hudrogen", present day stuff (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_line). It seems it was actually the remainder of the radiation from the Big Bang.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

I'll only buy this if Kent Hovind and Ray Comfort get on board!

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames