News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Opinion of Evangelical Christians?

Started by SisterAgatha, January 08, 2018, 04:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SisterAgatha

What do you think of Evangelical Christians? What is your experience with them?

I don't mean your opinion of their beliefs necessarily. More just your opinion of them as people? Their general character/personality?

I am A Catholic and I find them...recognizably different from us. I find more in common with Jews sometimes.

Any ideas?

Pasta Chick

Icarus

I do believe that the evangelicals are so far out in left field that they are not even in the ball park.  Evangelicals, in my understanding, believe that Jesus will return  to earth and that they are duty bound to impose their crack pot beliefs on the rest of us. 

You know what boggles my mind?  Many of those nutters are not nutters at all in the normal scheme of things.  Many of them are quite intelligent and perfectly functional in affairs other than their religious absurdity.

Magdalena

Quote from: Pasta Chick on January 08, 2018, 05:31:51 AM

:lol:
Quote from: SisterAgatha on November 25, 2017, 03:48:31 AM
What is your experience with Evangelical Christians?

Are any in your family? are any your friends? What are they like?

I am not so sure about them.

Apart from their faith they seem a bit harsh, judgmental and intellectually uncurious about any faith/tradition apart from their own.

Plus, they seem to think Catholocism is some crazy pagan cult and not true Christianity. Crazy right?

Please let me know

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: SisterAgatha on January 08, 2018, 04:59:41 AM
What do you think of Evangelical Christians? What is your experience with them?

I don't mean your opinion of their beliefs necessarily. More just your opinion of them as people? Their general character/personality?

I am A Catholic and I find them...recognizably different from us. I find more in common with Jews sometimes.

Any ideas?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

I could do this all night.  :lol:

But I won't.  :visit morpheus:

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Pasta Chick

For those not as fluent in gif-ese

I wonder what the HAF powers that be are up to...

MariaEvri

we don;t have them here, but from what I understand from the internet, they are either insane idiots, or insane dangerous idiots
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Magdalena

Quote from: MariaEvri on January 09, 2018, 03:23:19 PM
we don;t have them here, but from what I understand from the internet, they are either insane idiots, or insane dangerous idiots
I don't know any Evangelical Christians.

No one

My opinion is, that they are quite opinionated!

Icarus

We humans are entirely comfortable with the Suspension of disbelief concept. We watch movies, TV, and read books that  require us to accept the story line as presented.  The basic premise may be unacceptable as a reality but as entertainment it is accepted readily.   Reel two applies to the suspension of disbelief in the realm of the occult or magic. David Copperfield is fun to watch.  Reel three still requires the willingness to accept fantasies that more or less fit our desires for everlasting life in a place with streets of gold. Evangelicals, Charismatics, and Pentacostals have reel three covered...in spades.  They may be nut cases but it works for them. 

The deal with the Evangelicals is that they are duty bound, according their interpretation of the inerrant word of God, as found in the King James Version of the bible,  to convert everyone else to their manner of belief and practice.

Guess where the most dense population of dedicated Evangelicals are located.  ..........

Dave

QuoteGuess where the most dense population of dedicated Evangelicals are located.  ..........

Icarus, Is that "dense" as in "topographically most numerous", or "dense" aa in "thick as a plank"? Or maybe both?

Yup, for me the unreal worlds I love and enjoy go away with the credits or the closing of the book.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

"Dense" would be both the most populated and also the least capable of informed cogitation.    Where do we find that segment of the world population?  In the US we find Suspension of rational disbelief all over the nation.  Mostly in the southern states but also in some of the more northern ones. Suth Dakota, for example, is in the far north but traditionally more than ordinarily religious..  A coincidence ...or not....is that the most religious citizens tend to live in the agricultural and/or rural areas.  Not to say that there are a shortage of super religious in the more citified places.  Of those, most are in the southern states.   Even In those cities the percentage of devout worshipers is steadily decreasing.  Much less decrease rate in the rural areas.

MadBomr101

They shouldn't be allowed to vote. They have a predictable habit of choosing the worst candidate among all the worst Republicans. Whichever one screams "Praise Jesus!" the loudest is the one they'll back no matter how objectionable they may be as person.
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.