News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Swearing is good for you!

Started by Dave, November 20, 2017, 10:16:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

That's the title of a book, the author of which was on BBC radio 4's sort of "magazine" prog, "Start the weerk" this morning. Actually the whole prog, including people talking about Joseph Lister and pre-anastetic/antibiotic surgery, pain relief and transhumanism was worth listening to.

The above author talked of an experiment where the victims subjects had to hold their hand in ice-water for as long as they could stand. Whilst doing so they had to repeat a word, either a neutral word or a swear word, out loud. When it was the swear word they could stand the pain for up to 50% longer.

So, I have been practicing natural, drug free, pain control for most of my life then! Sometimes when in emotional pain.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swearing-Good-You-Amazing-Language-ebook/dp/B01N134A3C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511172071&sr=8-1&keywords=swearing+is+good+for+you

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

Earlier this year articles were written that claim that People who curse are smart as f—k!

Of course I don't know about that, and as most of you here know I don't like to use such colorful, or offensive words in my post, as I find such language beneath me. ::)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Guardian85

Mythbusters did that same ice experiment in an episode a few years back.

Got back a 30% higher pain tolerance.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Dave

Quote from: Guardian85 on November 20, 2017, 07:10:11 PM
Mythbusters did that same ice experiment in an episode a few years back.

Got back a 30% higher pain tolerance.

I am wondering if the results are affected by genetic or cultural, or even intellectual, factors. But 30% is still pretty significant is it not?

Icarus

Well there it is. That is perfectly good evidence that my propensity to use salty language is academically justified.