News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

MAGIC MUSHROOMS RESET THE BRAINS OF PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION

Started by Dave, October 14, 2017, 06:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

It seems that the active ingredient of magic mushrooms can temporarily relieve clinical depreseion and reduce the effects for a while longer.

http://www.newsweek.com/magic-mushrooms-reset-brain-depression-684677

I seem to remember other psychodelics haing a similar effect.

(Sorry for caps in the title, being lazy just c&p the article title.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Unfortunately, in the US research into the uses of drugs like psilocybin was effectively outlawed for decades. That changed to some extent about 20 years ago, but under the retrograde influence of Attorney General Sessions it's likely to be stifled once again. Perhaps researchers in the UK and the rest or Europe will have to lead the way, as in the study described in the OP.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

Quote from: Recusant on October 14, 2017, 04:46:13 PM
Unfortunately, in the US research into the uses of drugs like psilocybin was effectively outlawed for decades. That changed to some extent about 20 years ago, but under the retrograde influence of Attorney General Sessions it's likely to be stifled once again. Perhaps researchers in the UK and the rest or Europe will have to lead the way, as in the study described in the OP.
This seems a familiar scenario, I am sure there have been parallels.

The semi-paranoid cynic in me might think that there is a commercial agenda here somewhere. The US companies want Europe to take up food standards that we feel are inadequate or dangerous, such as chlorine washed chicken, but will block other things. One might feel that, unless Big Pharma can patent and price hype new drugs they will fight against them - so they can make mega profits pushing billions of proprietary pills every year. A drug that gives long term relief from a chronic condition is not in their interest (unless they can sell it at $1000 a pop).

One very bad aspect in being out of Europe is that our pathetic politicians will probably fold under US commercial pressure because we need the trade just to survive.

xSilverPhinx

This is interesting. I haven't read the study but could it be an effective treatment for people who suffer from depression and don't respond to widely used drugs such as SSRIs?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 16, 2017, 12:08:58 AM
This is interesting. I haven't read the study but could it be an effective treatment for people who suffer from depression and don't respond to widely used drugs such as SSRIs?

I believe that is vorrect.

Icarus

The Hippies knew about and utilized the powers of "magic Mushrooms", a long time ago. Of course their use was mainly for recreational purposes. I suspect that the hippies were late at the party by centuries if not eons.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on October 22, 2017, 02:46:44 AM
The Hippies knew about and utilized the powers of "magic Mushrooms", a long time ago. Of course their use was mainly for recreational purposes. I suspect that the hippies were late at the party by centuries if not eons.

Yes, I would also guess that almost all natural "substances" have a loooonnnng history of both use and abuse. Hunter gatherers would have tried every living thing as, at least, a potential food source to start with long before language developed.

But "abuse" gives things a bad name until even legitimate rediscovery of their beneficial use gets squashed.

One might be surprised that religionistas allow any medicines or medical treatments at all - after all it must be their god's will that people get sick. Come to think of it some don't . . .