Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

What are you doing for Halloween?

Started by SisterAgatha, October 07, 2017, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: jumbojak on October 08, 2017, 02:21:38 AM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 07, 2017, 11:35:02 PM
I'm spending the month watching all my favorite creepy movies.  Watched "The Uninvited" with Ray Milland just the other day, and am now watching "The Haunting", the original one with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom.  I love Liam Neeson, but that remake he participated in was crap.

I've never seen the original. Might be why I thought the new one wasn't that bad?

Other than using the same character names, it was an entirely different movie and completely lacking in subtlety.  The original is excellent psychological horror, and faithful to Jackson's novel.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on October 07, 2017, 05:00:02 PM
Just to clear things up a bit regarding the Christian holiday of Halloween/All Saints' Day. This is an example of Christians co-opting pagan celebrations as their own. Another is the Christian adoption of December 25 as a holy day. Christians also occasionally took pagan gods and goddesses and transformed them into Christian saints, as for instance St Brigid.

This practice of syncretism characterized the Christian church for much of its early history, and was a clever way of helping to consolidate the spread Christianity into pagan lands.

As for my personal celebration of October 31, I'll probably just have a wee dram of single malt.

I do love your posts  :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dragonia

My Halloween plans: call up some evil spirits with my Ouija board and then have an orgy with my BFFs.  And then we will take the kids trick or treating. And then maybe drink some alcohol and smoke some cigarettes.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Sandra Craft

Sandy

solidsquid

Vetrnaetr? I'd love to say that I'll be participating in or facilitating a proper feast and offering to Odin in the fields but it's on a weekday, Tyr's day to be exact.

I'll be in bed early to get up and tackle hump day at 0530.  It's also my first gym day of the week. So, I'll have to turn out the light and disappoint all the folks running around from house to house shaking them down for goodies.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dragonia on October 08, 2017, 05:20:33 PM
My Halloween plans: call up some evil spirits with my Ouija board and then have an orgy with my BFFs.  And then we will take the kids trick or treating. And then maybe drink some alcohol and smoke some cigarettes.

Bring the kids around my place, I plan to enchant some apples.
Sandy

Magdalena

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 09, 2017, 12:33:48 AM
Quote from: Dragonia on October 08, 2017, 05:20:33 PM

Bring the kids around my place, I plan to enchant some apples.

Sounds wonderful.  :tellmemore:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken