News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Song of Fire and Ice?

Started by SisterAgatha, October 04, 2017, 08:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SisterAgatha

Hello to all you literature buffs.

I was wondering what you think of the book "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin?

Just today after class was done, a student of mine came up to me and suggested we read it for our English class.

Apparently it involves dragons, a medieval setting a great struggle between good and evil!

I asked my young pupil if it was similar to the Chronicles of Narnia or "The Hobbit".

"Something like that" he said with sort of a  suspicious smirk. According to him George R.R Martin is sort of a model American version of JRR Tolkein.

I rather admire Tolkein. A World War 1 veteran, a devout Catholic, a professor (and inventor!) of all manner of languages: Latin, Greek, Anglo Saxon, likely Irish Gaelic (big points for a proud Irish American gal like me!)

Can someone please give me a sober, realistic assessment of this George RR character? Is his pedigree and list of accomplishments somewhat similar to the great JRR? please let me know your opinion of the books and its suitability for a 7th-9th grade English class.

Thank you very much.

Recusant

Why would you take the advice of a group of hell-bound atheists on such an important matter, SisterAgatha?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

SisterAgatha

Because, I hate to say it, unlike many Catholics (nuns and otherwise) you people seem sort of "open minded." That is you won't "shut down" when you hear about a controversial matter you might not like.

I could always read a book review or two and have... but I want the experiences of people who actually have read the books.

I saw them at Barnes and Noble the other day. They are almost as thick as the Summa Theologia!

With my lessons, prayers, gardening,beekeeping, and spiritual reading I hardly would have time to read through all of them so soon!

I can see its been made into a smutty series for HBO...but I think its possible they exaggerate the inappropriate parts just to get ratings (people can be so low at times!)

Dave

Well, well, Sister, how you change so much from being a stereotype nun to a more questioning person. As if you have not really made up your own mind just who or what you are. Or like a troll having trouble maintaining a persona, trying to reinforce an image, whilst challlenging others.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

No one

xSilverPhinx

No way are you an English teacher. You frequently confuse your with you're and it's with its, which are rather basic.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Well I have watched the HBO series and enjoyed it because it's not all sweet and loving. There is a but of bite and comedy passably acted.

What do you normally read? What are the last half dozen fiction books you have read and no the Bible doesn't count.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 04, 2017, 08:34:00 PM
No way are you an English teacher. You frequently confuse your with you're and it's with its, which are rather basic.
I noticed that too.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Silver:

Actually, there is a brand new English course: Interwebz Trollz. It's taking off at an alarming rate. 

Magdalena

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on October 04, 2017, 09:53:39 PM

Heh. :grin:

Sister (? :notsure: ) Agatha brings out the grammar nazi in me, which generally lies dormant, and increasingly the skeptic, who is starting to believe that it's all a bunch of lies.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 04, 2017, 08:18:25 PM
I can see its been made into a smutty series for HBO...but I think its possible they exaggerate the inappropriate parts just to get ratings (people can be so low at times!)

Nope. There's plenty of sex - incest, rape, consensual...in the books there's even pedophilia which might please some Catholics.

Dave

Hmm, think there should be a comma between "say" and "softly" . . .

Or should it be "softly say" ?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on October 04, 2017, 10:12:37 PM

Hmm, think there should be a comma between "say" and "softly" . . .

Or should it be "softly say" ?
And a period at the end of the sentence.  :run!:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

jumbojak

I have it, on good authority, that that man sold his soul to the devil! (Read in your best impersonation of Colonel Sanders... or Foghorn Leghorn...)

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz